Reduction Build / Tubes?

RGartner · 2391

Offline RGartner

on: October 04, 2014, 10:45:12 AM
Update on my reduction build, I was so impatient putting the Reduction together for some reason, especially the small stuff.

It's fun soldering the big stuff, the small stuff gets a little tedious for me and I ended up burning up a few items I had to replace. I was kinda bummed out until I swapped out my $50.00 'ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier' from Amazon, connected up the Reduction and put on Van Morrison's Moondance album, sounded so awesome, even my wife who has a very picky musicians ear said "wow, that thing sounds great...", big smiles.

You guys have some killer products, I also built the Crack Headphone amp, I've used it everyday for more than a year connected to my computer with a Meridian Explorer DAC, not the best source - itunes, spotify, etc. but it sounds awesome all day to me.

Last thing, after hearing how good the Reduction makes my records sound (turntable a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, ortofon bronze needle) Im on an upgrade run, I ordered the upgrade kit for the Reduction but Id like to get some real nice tubes, any ideas there?
I see people talking about the Bugle Boy tubes, wondering if anyone has an opinion on that?

Thanks for any information, and again to Bottlehead for making such cool products.
Im waiting for an AM radio kit with a real nice enclosure from Bottlehead for baseball game listening!

-Richard Gartner

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 02:13:17 PM
Telefunken E88CC or E188CC gold pin - but these are pretty expensive. I also have the Reflektor 6N23P-EV, & these are really nice tubes as well, much better than the stock versions.

Offline RGartner

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:42:54 PM
Thanks Chris,

I see upscaleaudio has the Telefunken E88CC in platinum grade, awesome, I might go down that road sooner than later.

Thanks for the info!

Offline RGartner

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:59:08 PM
I just ordered up the Telefunken E88CC from Upscale Audio. I ordered the cryo treated, not sure if that matters or not, we shall see. Ill report back asap.

Thanks,
Richard

Offline corndog71

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:35:03 AM
I recommend RAM Labs for the lowest noise tubes.  Roger picks the best out of hundreds of tubes.  He's a little pricier but they're worth it compared to buying random tubes.

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/tubes.html

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob