Prototype images

Doc B. · 21840

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: October 07, 2014, 03:36:18 PM
After three years of prototyping, listening, tweaking, nudging, renudging, re-prototyping, re-listening, and repackaging, we have a DAC! These are images of our functional prototype. Like all Bottlehead products the emphasis is on performance and the packaging uses the philosophy of form follows function.

We had initially planned to do this as a kit. However the main board is very sophisticated and very expensive to manufacture. We decided that we didn't want to raise our customers' blood pressure (or ours!) with scary proposition of having to buy a many hundreds of dollars replacement board in the event of an assembly mistake. So we will be offering the DAC in finished form. There will be a future battery supply upgrade that will be in kit form.

The front is very simple, with a smoked acrylic panel holding a power switch, input selector switch and the ubiquitous likeness of Doc B. Behind the panel stands an old school seven segment red LED display that indicates the sample rate of the file being played - which is set automatically each time a new song is started, up to 384kHz via USB.

The back panel has an HDMI socket which will be used for future added features, RCA output jacks (nominal output is 2V) and a power inlet across the top row and USB, TOSLINK and COAX S/PDIF inlets across the lower row.

As those who have been following the long development of this project know there is a LOT more cool stuff going on inside, and those who have heard it know that it is quite a special piece of gear. I am here late at the office tonight just to get these pics up. I will add more info about the DAC and how we plan to crowdfund the first production run over the next couple of days.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
HOLY DAC!!!

What's the name? My son calls it "The King of the DACs." Yes, I've been talking it up to him. He's six.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:12:25 PM
Congrats team! I'll give one a home as soon as you can get it to me ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:20:21 PM
If the Big Pre sells before the crowdfunding I'll buy three for the HT. Now, how does that sound?!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Mach2

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:21:04 PM
Don't want to ruin your crowdfunding plan but +1 for the pre sell. You already got my cc number.

PH

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:39:38 PM
Thanks, we are most happy to hear from those who want one! We are crowdfunding just to be sure that we can swing the first run OK. I checked my wallet and I am completely out of $30,000 bills. So we are going to need 20 people to commit to do this thing. I will be working on the setup starting tomorrow and will get something together ASAP.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
Not sure if I have the cash to purchase (new roof about to go on the house) but wish you all the best with the project and am looking forward to seeing the Dac up on Kick Starter.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:55:36 AM
Looks great!  Looking forward to it!

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 03:03:28 AM
So many questions... and its so tiny!

Sign me up, i'm ready and waiting.

M.McCandless

Offline davechen

• about.me/dtchen
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:26:41 AM
Yeah, baby!

I'm a definite maybe.

Offline bobster

Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:06:06 AM
Did I miss it?  The price?  Not that it will change my decision.    ;D

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 01:50:03 PM
The price will be $1550. I'm putting together details about the DAC and how it functions. Should be together in a couple days. We have also been working on dressing up the final appearance a little bit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00:19 PM
Smart move keeping the price as originally announced but saving the battery for later upgrade. I think that's a fair trade-off. Definitely interested, but funds are low... Here's hoping the crowd sourcing is successful!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 04:13:55 PM
Doc can you give me some info on the power requirements, AC or DC and voltage?

M.McCandless

Offline marantzfan

Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Going to have to sell some more stuff now.  ;)

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701