Eros mods

tttubes · 17027

Offline Brillo

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 04:37:24 PM
Alrighty then. Simple.  Thanks.

Chris

Offline Paully

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 04:57:02 AM
Let us know how it works out and what you think.

Offline Brillo

Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 09:28:23 AM
I'm having some trouble procuring these tubes thru my preferred source.  I can wait a few weeks for the backorder to clear, but I'm anxious to implement this change.  Anyone know who may have stock at a reasonable price (and good service)?  I thought I saw a recommendation in another post (maybe from Paully), but I'm unable to locate it.  As usual, many thanks.

Chris

Offline grufti

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:28 AM
Two [three available] for $29.40 shipping included.

It's a Canadian store on the auction site: http://cgi.ebay.com/6BR7-Vacuum-Tube-Brimar-England-NOS-Pentode-RF-IF-Stage-/200465591482?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2eacae2cba

I've had good luck going that route, but as always: your preferences may be different and ymmv.

I'm having some trouble procuring these tubes thru my preferred source.  I can wait a few weeks for the backorder to clear, but I'm anxious to implement this change.  Anyone know who may have stock at a reasonable price (and good service)?  I thought I saw a recommendation in another post (maybe from Paully), but I'm unable to locate it.  As usual, many thanks.

Offline Paully

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 10:39:06 AM
I got mine from Langrex.  http://www.langrex.co.uk/  They are a great source to buy just about anything from.  But they will take a little bit to arrive from England though they ship quickly.  I also bought some from http://cgi.ebay.com/6BR7-8D5-Brimar-Britain-EF86-tube-sub-100-avail-/380066470980?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item587dba1c44 and they were fine as well.

The Tubestore and Tubedepot have them but I wouldn't pay $20 each.  I would order a quad or so from Langrex and wait the week or two it takes to get here.  The ones I got on ebay were, as I said, also perfectly good.

Offline Brillo

Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 11:41:32 AM
Rewired the sockets this morning.  Quite easy once you get the PC boards out of the way a bit.  The revisions also gave me a chance to clean up a bit of sloppy work from my initial build. :)

I'm listening to the first album on the new 6BR7's.  These tubes are super quiet - in my system, dramatically so compared to the ef86's.  The sound seems very crisp and detailed.  I'm really digging this.  Well worth the small effort. 

Chris

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:28 AM
Chris,

I wondered if you are still enjoying the 6BR7 in place of the EF86 pentodes.

Offline Brillo

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 08:09:27 AM
Yes, I am very satisfied.  I recommend this swap: 6BR7s are cheap and the socket re-wire is simple.  My issues with the ef86s weren't too concerning (needed more burn-in time perhaps?), but the 6BR7 is dead quiet and the sound suits my taste perfectly.   I swapped mostly just for fun, but really dig the results.

So far, I've updated just about every resistor and capacitor of relevance (as described or recommended by other in various posts/threads), but I'm interested to learn more about other modifications. 

Chris

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37:21 AM
Chris start a thread and outline what you have done.  Then the Bottlehead crew and others can chime in as to what they have tried.  I think this thread has covered a lot of different tweaks.  

The only one I am not positive has been explored is making the RIAA EQ components exactly the design values.  That puts the RIAA EQ spot on.  And it may have been discussed.