Quicksand That Sinking Feeling

aleman · 13525

Offline aleman

Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 08:57:38 AM
Would it be possible for you to sketch a quick diagram for the technically challenged to implement this as this looks like an ideal solution to my particular problem with regard to using my lowther drivers all I will have to do now is find a suitable small horn cabinets to build as space is limited any pointers would be useful. thanks a lot

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 12:02:06 PM
Here's a quick and dirty set of instructions for you.  When the toggle lever is away from A, B, C, and D, the mute will be active. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aleman

Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 12:51:58 AM
Thanks a lot will try this out later this week as trying to get some info on cabinet for this pair of lowther dx3 drivers I have acquired.

Offline aleman

Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 11:55:11 AM
Have to admit unable to fathom out how to wire this into the quicksand amplifier. Therefore aim stuck step by step instructions would be helpful.thanks a lot.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 05:27:28 PM
Have to admit unable to fathom out how to wire this into the quicksand amplifier. Therefore aim stuck step by step instructions would be helpful.thanks a lot.

Run a wire from left positive speaker terminal to terminal A on the switch.

Run a wire from right positive speaker terminal to terminal B on the switch.

Run a wire from one of the negative speaker terminals to C and D on the switch.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aleman

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:49 AM
Thanks a lot saved my blushes will implement this as soon as possible.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:27 AM
I forgot the most important step - drill a 1/4" hole in the chassis plate.

To do this, you must have a piece of scrap wood behind the plate where you will be drilling, or the plate will crack. 

It will also go a lot better if you have a bit for drilling plastics, but I use the higher grade of acrylic for these plates (cast), so machining is not as dicey as it could be.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aleman

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:59:32 AM
Thanks for your help implemented as instructed including the hole in top plate works just fine my fostex speakers  now do not jump out of their baskets when being switched on  such a simple thing overthought it thus my difficulties glad I asked for help as would  still be pondering how to implement this. Will post  a picture when phone has recharged to show in in situ .Again my thanks .

Offline aleman

Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 07:33:51 AM
As promised pictures of mute switch and reinstalled c5 capacitor amplifier works like a charm sounding better each day .thanks a lot.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 03:30:09 PM
Hi,

Out of curiosity, how do you power the quicksand?  I see the power jack between the speaker outputs. 

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 02:11:33 PM
Oh, yeah, I didn't notice that.

If you're going to power the  Quicksand from a wall wart or other switching supply, capacitor selection on the PC board will be critical in more locations.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aleman

Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 07:31:26 AM
Sorry for the late reply ,been away from the computer the power supply comprises of a car battery 12 volt dc 68 amps or  9 volt dc   never connected supply in stand alone box from trichord research this was originally to power  the trichord clock3 on my teac t1 transport  now unused but still in fine fettle. Thus  I decided to use a separate socket for attaching power cord to the quicksand.not actually using any wall wart or switching supplies albeit that I have a few   belonging to variouse Beresford dacs in my possession but the dac is also dc from a 12 volt dc car battery.one thing of note powered up briefly with lowther dx3 attached still loud thump  disconnected lowthers fostex  206e woked fine ,connected lowthers to my ladyday 300b amplifiers with quickie preamp and source speakers fine no switch on thump puzzled but as lowthers  very expensive no further experiments with quicksand for now until I can ascertain the problem when using the lowthers but with fostex 206e sound very good .will have to suck it and see any suggestions appreciated.

Offline aleman

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 07:46:43 AM
Ps forgot to add  I have ordered from china a 30 volt  dc analogue meter to check batteries a bit like the finial amps of yore. will post pictures when I have fitted it as coming from china this may take some time.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 07:52:51 AM
I thought you had added a shorting switch to the outputs? With that closed, there should be no start up thump...John 

John Scanlon

Offline aleman

Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:23 AM
All problems sorted with lowthers reconnected the lowthers in the early hours followed the exact order of switching on source quickie and quicksand with mute switch on left  15 seconds approx. very low plop sound through with mute switch on nothing to trouble the lowthers or any other speaker after which came forth music bearing in mind  lowthers no boxes sounded not to bad.lowthers put away until I can decide which horns to build mute switch fine therefore the error must be mine ,inadvertently pushed switch in wrong order.thanks for all the help quicksand working as it should mute switch and all.