Two Qs

xcortes · 3974

Offline xcortes

on: October 17, 2014, 05:51:49 AM
I have a serious HT system with five identical Paramour II amps (exo 050 Ni opts, exo 003 plate chokes and RGC 006 ps chokes) and five Pi Pro Four speakers with a revel sub to complemente the nice CRT projector and screen.

I'm serously considering jumping into the crowdfunding with three dacs. I would need to build a six channel preamp of attenuator, of course. First question is: I don't see why not but any reason why the dac wouldn't work with the Audiopraise Vanity multichannel digital?

http://audiopraise.com/vanityhd/overview.php

Specs:

Features & Specifications
8 channel S/PDIF Output
protocol: S/PDIF (IEC958 / EIAJ CP1201)
type: reclocked transformer isolated 75Ω RCA coaxial
format: linear PCM stereo
supported sampling rates: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192kHz
supported bit depths: 16 / 24bit

Second question. Is there a discount for buying three?

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:59:54 AM
I'm going to let John weigh in on compatibility with the Vanity. As for your second question, we are happy to offer a 10% discount on a commitment for three DACS.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:10:16 AM
YGM

Xavier Cortes

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:33:02 AM
Re: the six channel attenuator - the switches used in the Submissive passive attenuator are undoubtedly available in multiple decks, so you could copy the design on each deck. I doubt there's enough demand to make it a kit, but it should not be difficult for an experienced amateur to do this.

Paul Joppa

Offline John Swenson

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:03:31 AM
I'm not sure what the Vanity does here. It looks like it is a DAC itself, so I don't see how this relates to the BH DAC.

Now if it outputs 3 2 channel S/PDIF outputs, then yes you should be able to hook up three BH DACs to it. There is a small buffer in the DAC which will add a small amount of latency, for 44.1 it should be in the 4ms range. Less for higher sample rates.

If this isn't how you want to hook it up, please give me some more info on what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline xcortes

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:34 AM
Thanks John,

It's not a dac. For lack of a better word I'd say it's a "splitter" that sends eight channels through four two-channel spdif signals.

Xavier Cortes