Audeze LCD-3 with Mainline

rickdagless · 4041

Offline rickdagless

on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:08 PM
I hate to post such a similar topic (as there is one regarding the LCD-XC in the Mainline forum and I'm sure these cans have very similar requirements), but I was wondering if anybody had any impressions of the LCD-3's with the Mainline?  It seems that the S.E.X. is the more logical pairing amp, but the 'Specs' page also suggests that Audeze's are killer with the Mainline, too.

I'd like to write a little about my motivations for choosing the LCD-3's.  If any of you guys/gals out there have any other recommendations -- I'm all ears, and I'd really appreciate your comments...
I've got a Mainline and I'm currently running mine with some HD 650s (with stock cable), and while I am stunned by the sound, I also feel 650s are holding back this fantastic amp.  Not only that, I'd really like some headphones that have a more smooth and soulful presentation -- I've found the HD650s to be a little harsh on some recordings (Nirvana Unplugged comes to mind), which surprised me.  After reading Tyll's review at Inner Fidelity, it seems like the LCD-3's might fit the bill.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:03:02 PM by rickdagless »

Vahe Vartan

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:31:01 AM
I believe we used LCD-2s to see how Audezes worked. If LCD-3s are the same sensitivity and impedance they should work, but I don't know if that is the case. Re the HD650s, an upgraded cable like a Cardas might fix the harshness issue.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:27 AM
Hello Rick,

Depending on where you live in the world, you can probably find a regional or local HeadFi meet to attend.  If you can find one, then you'll be able to audition a good number of different cans, and likely you can try them out on the Mainline if you bring it.

Having said that, there are certainly some types of music that aren't ideal on the HD-650, and I can recall not enjoying that exact album all that much on the HD-600's I had not all that long ago. 

The cable sure is an inexpensive experiment to try. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rickdagless

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:37 PM
Doc and PB,

Definitely going to give the cable upgrade a try -- I'm going to see about making a balanced one myself as I'm hungry to do some more building!  Should be fun to see what changes, too.

I realized that there actually is a shop about an hour and a half away (I'm in Los Angeles) that carries Audeze.  I'll swing by there one of these days with my setup, test them out and post my impressions.

Regarding the HD 650s, I'm noticing the harshness particularly on the vocals (and particularly live recordings) -- I would describe it as a grating sound.  It sounds like it would hurt to sing like that!  And I don't really think it's the HD 650's fault as it's still there with other headphones, but its like you said PB, that it's not always a great match.  Some of my other headphones (Shure SE215 and V-Moda Crossfade M-100) seem to be a little more polite about it.

Vahe Vartan

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:09 AM
The harshness might be coming from your source.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rickdagless

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:14:48 PM
Yeah, it definitely is.  I'm listening to FLAC CD rips -- I wonder if vinyl would sound smoother...

Vahe Vartan

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 06:11:23 PM
Sorry to be a bit late to the party but it may have a lot to do with when the Nirvana album was released. The original Nirvana albums were relatively well mastered (including the 1994 unplugged release), however the latest re-releases from the past few years have been remastered, and according to the record store I frequent and numerous Amazon reviews, the dynamic range on the remasters is compressed and unpleasant to listen to. This is on both the CD AND the LP, again from what I've heard from others.

The HD650 is a very polite headphone, so it's hard to imagine it being harsh on its own. As the previous posters mentioned, a Cardas cable can help further warm the sound, but *typically* the HD650 mates better with a brighter sounding cable because its signature is fairly warm and mellow already.

Hope this helps a little bit.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com