How can I get my Crack to look like this?

Jimb0 · 3281

Offline Jimb0

on: October 22, 2014, 12:19:39 PM
http://diy.koenigs.dk/2014/03/02/bottlehead-crack-and-speedball-review/#comments

I just ordered my Crack + Speedball Kit just moments ago and already planning on painting it to get it to look like the picture in the article above. I was wondering if you guys know what paint to use to achieve that look? Also, what base adhesives did he use to support the amp? Appreciate the help.

Jimb0

Offline Horatio

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:29:44 PM
He actually explains on the site what he did - http://diy.koenigs.dk/2014/02/20/6/ - the link is not always obvious when you are on the main page.

Being based in the UK I got a close approximation by simply taking the picture into my local DIY store and comparing the stain in the picture to the wood stain examples they had. I believe I ended up with a Hammerite Black 'Hammered' Spraypaint for the main plate (I lightly sanded all the metal work and then I built up about 5-6 light coats of spray paint, each 30 mins apart and then left overnight indoors to harden) and then a dark walnut wood stain. I went for a stain that was a little lighter with regards to the picture on the tin - that way I could apply several layers to build up the colour to the required density on the wood itself. Again I recall using 3-4 coats of stain to get to the required darkness.

You would then use a clear coat to finish...

I simply used a bog standard wood glue from the local DIY store and followed the base assembly instructions and it worked a treat...

Bill

Offline Jimb0

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:45:12 PM
Hi Bill,

I guess I should have looked around harder for it. :)

Thanks for the link and for sharing your process. I will use your post as a guide when I start to paint.

All the best,

Jimb0