eBay Chinese Stepped Attenuator in Foreplay 3

John EH · 2682

Offline John EH

on: November 02, 2014, 09:25:53 AM
Ok guys no bad words about China, my gf was "Made in China".

Anyway I picked up a set of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400654679770?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for the Foreplay 3 to replace the japanese sealed potentiometers.  Switches are well assembled although I'm not sure about the "Dale" claim.  There are what appears to me to be authentic Dale resistors but they aren't all Dale resistors.  What do you want for $50?

Sure enough they came in a timely fashion however without any kind of documentation at all.   To hook them up you have an input, output and ground as in the photo.  Note this is a snipped photo of a stereo pot but the hookups are the same.  The input is the lower lug on the switch as it is sitting on its base.

Solder the red wire from the channel selector switch to the input.  Solder the red wire from the output that runs to the resistor on the terminal board to the upper lug (output), then hook the remaining black wires to ground.

The switch actually sounds pretty darn great to my ears.

You will have to enlarge the hole in your foreplay chassis and egg shape the alignment dimple home.  I did not enlarge the dimple hole and just stacked washers under it.  Wasn't sure I'd keep the change and didn't want to modify the chassis.  I'll do it later probably because I'll keep these switches in.

Offline John EH

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:30:51 AM
One more pic installed that depicts the resistor compliment a bit better.