CanJam Chicago

ironbut · 8500

Offline ironbut

on: May 11, 2010, 09:53:55 AM
I mentioned it somewhere else but I thought I'd make a formal announcement. (this is a cut and paste from another forum)

It's time again for my annual announcement for the Headfi International Meet.
This year it's taking place at the O'Hare Hyatt in Chicago June 5th-6th.
If you aren't familiar with Headfi, it's an online community of headphone crazies from all over the world. One of the best things about our not so little group (last time I looked, around 60k)are the "meets". At these events many of us bring our gear for anyone to listen and sample the latest gear.
The International Meet brings folks from all over the world (volcano's permitting) and a large number of headphone and headphone related product manufacturers together for a weekend of listening.
So, if you'd like to spend some time listening to a pair of headphones that you're considering purchasing or want to hear what a $20k+ headphone set up sounds like. Come and join us.
Here's a link to the particulars for this year;

* https://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437304/save-the-date-jun   (Open in New Window)

steve koto

Offline ironbut

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:55:37 AM
To give you an idea of what this meet is like, here's some photos from last years event which was held in LA.
Be sure and scroll all the way down past the "drinking" and "socializing".

Also, we don't have a firm vendors list yet for 2010 but here's a list from LA.

Affinity Medical Technology
AudioLineOut/ALO Audio
Auduze
Benchmark Media Systems
Beyer Dynamics
Blackbird Audio
Crossroads Acoustics
Donald North Audio
Eastwind Imports
Eddie Current
GR9 Technology
HeadAmp Audio Electronics
Head-Direct.com
HeadRoom
Hearing Components (Comply)
JH Audio
Lavry Engineering
Locus Audio
Manley Labs
Maximo
Monster Cable
Moon Audio
Neko DACs
Ray Samuels Audio
RudiStor Sound Systems
Sennheiser
Shure Inc.
Smyth Research
Todd The Vinyl Junkie
Ultimate Ears
Ultrasone
Westone
Whiplash Audio
Woo Audio

* https://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/426949/canjam-09-picture   (Open in New Window)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:57:14 AM by ironbut »

steve koto

Offline levlhed

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:49 PM
Will there be Crack?

I'm thinking about making the 2+ hour drive down on Saturday with my Beyerdynamic DT990 600's around my neck....

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:11:50 PM
What Steve didn't say is that he will have his stock Crack and the very first production prototype Crack with the Speedball upgrade at his table.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline levlhed

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:00:16 PM
sweet

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline ironbut

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:13 PM
Yup, I'm sitting here listening to the Crack with the Speedball upgrade right now.
Even though I haven't done an A/B comparison of them, the sound of the upgrade seems very significant and way-way more than the price would indicate. The sound seems faster and more focused. And the bass that was already excellent is deeper and tighter I think.
But the main thing that sticks out in my mind is the instrument separation. Could that be the result of the above mentioned improvements? I tend to think so.
These impressions are subject to immediate changes as burn in continues. (about 12 hours on it so far)
I'm also hoping to try as many of the better headphones as I can on it as the weekend goes on (regardless of impedance).

I hope to see some you there in the next  couple of days.

steve koto

Offline levlhed

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:21:27 PM
Please be nice to the Crack/Speedball!  it might end up being mine ;-)

Offline ironbut

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:21:00 AM
Please be nice to the Crack/Speedball!  it might end up being mine ;-)

No problemo.
I'll be sure and take extra good care of it buddy.

steve koto

Offline arsun

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:29 PM
I was in the Head-fi meet today and was hoping to see Steve in person, however he was not in the room for about 15-20mins I was there. I had the chance of comparing the stock vs upgraded crack with his setup and I must say I am pretty impressed with the upgrade. I think it is very much worth it and I would agree on the findings being the Speedball upgraded one more focused and has lower extension. I think the upgrade is very much wort it. Crack with Speedball upgrade must be the best amp in its price range and IMHO, it even bests a lot of retail amps with much higher price tags with 4 digits. If you are still thinking of getting the amp, I would say you better stop thinking :)

Offline levlhed

Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:18:53 AM
I too got to listen to them and compare.  Really a no-brainer there on if one *should* do the upgrade.
Was good to meet the ironbut!  And the other guy I talked to, was that you arsun?

It was def. worth my time and energy to hit CanJam yesterday. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 05:31:27 AM
So if you met ironbut and Arsum, can they report on whether your head is level or not?

Offline arsun

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:35:13 AM

Was good to meet the ironbut!  And the other guy I talked to, was that you arsun?

Well, I only talked to one guy in that room. He can be very well you :), but I don't know if that is true with you :). I mentioned to the guy that I am a member here and built a modified SEX and posted some pictures and he said he saw them. So, was that you levlhed? :))

Offline levlhed

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 03:54:38 PM
Yes, that was me!

Offline arsun

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 10:53:14 PM
It was very nice to talk to you. I forgot to ask, are you a local? If so, we can have a Bottlehead  meet some time...

Offline levlhed

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:44:34 AM
I'm about 2.5 hours drive North of Chicago.