Can I get some cartridge recommendations under $150

Pfenning · 4613

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
on: December 03, 2014, 02:30:40 PM
I picked up a Phillips GA-212 today, and I need a cartridge for it. It's for my hobby room, so no critical listening will be taking place, just background music. I'll be feeding the analog signal to my vintage Marantz 2215 (built in phono stage). What cartridges will give me good full sound? The cheaper the better, I just don't want to damage my records.

Also, it has a goofy DIN connector on it, not RCA's. Will it be painfully obvious how to convert it to RCA?

Thanks,
Pfenning 

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Online denti alligator

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 03:08:23 PM
Nagaoka MP110 is very nice.

Ortofon 2M Red is well liked.

I'd go for one of these.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:15:54 PM
Thanks Denti, I was looking at the Red. Has anyone tried the AT 95E? It gets good reviews on Needledoctor. I didn't realize there were so many choices at or under $100. That price range makes more sense for the application.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Wanderer

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:02:50 AM
Phillips GA 212 has a relatively low mass arm. I'd consider the Shure M97Xe OR the older, higher compliance, Ortofon OM 20 might be a better match then the newer Ortofon Red.

OM20 cartridges are still around as NOS if you dig a bit on the internet         

Kevin R-M

Offline Wanderer

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:31:01 AM
..Oh.....and do keep in mind that the GA 212 has a ferrous steel platter. Cartridges that have a strong magnetic field, like High Output Moving Coils, can be impossible to set up correctly.   

Kevin R-M

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:12 AM
Ok, thanks. Good info on the platter material. I was wandering about the mass of the arm. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I got a good deal on it. My luck varies when it comes to eBay. 

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Wanderer

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 12:18:17 PM
Try a refrigerator magnet on the platter to be sure. I think the later Phillips tables had a non-ferrous platter. The GA-212 I had many moons ago definitely had a platter that would attract a magnet.   

I used a Shure V15 III on it way back when both were new.       

Kevin R-M

Offline caffeinator

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
I'd second the M97XE - pretty good bang for the buck and easy to come by pretty inexpensively.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 03:09:05 AM
I think I'll order a M97XE and give it a try. If i order one today, it should arrive about the same time as my Phillips 212. Thanks for the advice.

Onebean

Pfenning

Offline Mike V.

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 05:22:30 AM
I think I'll order a M97XE and give it a try. If i order one today, it should arrive about the same time as my Phillips 212. Thanks for the advice.

Onebean

I had a lot of grounding issues with the Shure!!!! I would not recomend the m97xe, I vote for the Ortofon OM-20 instead, I owned one and I have very possitive thought on it, also you can upgrade later the stylus.

Hope you give a second thougt on it1

Cheers,

Crack w/Speedball/HD650/DacMagic-100/

Mainline (on the way)/K702/ProJect Xpression III Classic w/ DL-103R/ Speedbox/Cambridge Audio 651p/

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:09 AM
I'm returning it. I got a deal on the Pro-ject Carbon with the Ortofon red. I'm loving it.

Pfenning

Pfenning