Smash in the "Fleet"

galyons · 2258

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
on: December 06, 2014, 03:17:19 PM
I just finished a "Rescue Rebuild" on a Smash.  The input, balance and volume pot wiring were a mess.  Evidently the poor original builder tried a variety of alternative configurations and volume control devices.  Sadly, he just never got it quite right and gave up.  I wired back in the stock components, cleaned up some weird bits and pieces of wire remnants in several solder junctions.  Ran the resistance and  voltage checks, all good!  Then I  put it into my system in place  of my much loved Foreplay 3EXT.

I left everything stock and listened for most of the day.  I am MORE than pleasantly SURPRISED about just how good it sounds.  Well done, PB!!!.  My  Foreplay 3X is configured for 3 6CG7's,  has Teflon sockets, Grayhill switch, mono Welwyn stepped attenuators, Russian KBG PIO output caps and CMC silver plated copper RCA's.  So I would consider it a pretty well maxed out Foreplay.   The Smash is better...simply DHT magic into my Paramounts!!!

I just removed the balance pot and replaced the volume pot with a stepped attenuator.  Even better!!!!  I need to fabricate elevated platform mounts for the pair of KGB output caps. Then I will replace the stock output caps. But tonight I am just going to enjoy the music.

Doc said the Smash-up is the most audible of the preamp upgrades.  If the Smashup  is a bigger improvement then I saw with my Foreplay 1& 2 to C4s, Foreplay 3 to Extended, then.... I can't wait, (the Smashup has been ordered!).  I have read many posts, in the various DIY audio forums, about how good the 4P1L tubes are run as triodes.  Most of the builds have been relatively complicated circuits with OPT's, etc.   PB showed, yet again, a simple, well designed circuit will rule the day!

There are two issues.  Firstly, the well known 4P1L microphonics, ( not nearly as bad as my Quickie, BTW!).  Switching channels or making contact with the aluminum plate does, indeed, set the 4P1L's to singing!  So working on that!!  Secondly, the Smash does not play well with my streamer, (Touch).  The Smash picks up and injects into the signal a ticking, much like a mechanical clock.  Very annoying.  Solution, move the Touch up two shelves.

If you have been considering the purchase of a Smash...Do it!!   So....the big QUESTION?  When will the Smash-up ship?

Cheers,
Geary

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:35:19 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:50:29 AM
If you have been considering the purchase of a Smash...Do it!!   So....the big QUESTION?  When will the Smash-up ship?
Josh is chewing through the manual right now (likely as we speak perhaps).  I have a few little odds and ends to tidy up to assist him, but there are also a lot of holiday orders that he is working to pack.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:25:37 AM
Pictures? Has anyone posted pics of his Smash build yet?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:32 AM
Pictures? Has anyone posted pics of his Smash build yet?

Sam, look at this thread.  Nice build in Oz.  Well done & lot'sa pics!  I will post pics of my rebuild when I am done cleaning up all of the original build messes.

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6720.0

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 07:48:31 AM

There are two issues.  Firstly, the well known 4P1L microphonics, ( not nearly as bad as my Quickie, BTW!).  Switching channels or making contact with the aluminum plate does, indeed, set the 4P1L's to singing!  So working on that!!  ....

I received a couple of questions offline about the severity of the 4P1L microphony.  Just to be clear, in my system, in my rack there are no audible microhonics when playing.  The tubes do sing when I switch inputs  or tap the plate.   Even so, they settle down quickly.  Once I have everything else well sorted, I will tackle the microphony issues. I think that it will be quite the same as my Quickie, damping and decoupling. Until then, there is really nothing to distract from the music as built.

Cheers,
Geary