extra switch position [solved]

aragorn723 · 1767

Offline aragorn723

on: December 15, 2014, 12:41:54 PM
Hi,

What is the extra switch position on the Quickie for?  The first click to the right turns it on and switches to the first input, and the second click gives you the second input.  There is one more click the switch can go, is this for an extra input?  There are a few terminals on the switch that aren't used, is that a part of this?

Dave
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:05:16 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:12:07 PM
 There is a series of holes around the shaft of the switch that set the number of positions by inserting the tab of the tabbed washer into the corresponding hole. To fix it, turn the switch all the way counterclockwise, remove the switch from the chassis, move the tabbed washer to position 3, then reassemble.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:26:53 PM
Is this possible in an assembled kit?  There isn't much slack on the leads (without de-soldering  :P

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:25:40 PM
Its possible as i did the exactly the same thing on my build. Turn the chassis upside down and lift the switch so the washer falls down, rotate, then reassemble and test.  Was a fiddly job but easier than unsoldering everything.

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35:26 AM
Does anyone have a picture of what the slots on top of the switch?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline badman

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:31:55 PM
You'll also need to jumper the extra terminal onto the power connections- otherwise you'll have input wiring but no power

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:24 PM
So by moving the tabbed washer to a different slot, the electrical configuration of the switch changes and requires a jumper??  It's been a while since I built the Quickie, are these washers pre-set into the switch?  I don't remember anything in the directions about moving the washer.

Dave

Offline badman

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:42:08 AM
In the 1.1 The switch outputs for power are strung together for active inputs- that's how you keep power when rotating between input 1 and 2.  If you're adding a third input, you'll need to add that to the power string or the preamp won't have power on your third input, and what's worse, if you're listening to another input then switch to 3, you'll be powering the preamp down while the amp's still connected.  No good!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:19:30 AM
You'll also need to jumper the extra terminal onto the power connections- otherwise you'll have input wiring but no power

This has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.  He doesn't want to add another position, but rather his indexing washer slipped into a different hole and now he is getting one of the positions twice.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jake111

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:12:57 PM
This is great! I thought I had to live with the extra nonworking switch positions. Maybe I missed a detail in the instructions.
It was a little tricky getting the indexing washer to set in the right hole. Got it after several tries and all's well, three positions. :)
Thanks y'all, Jess

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 03:35:15 PM
Jess,

How did you wind up fixing it?  I unscrewed the pot and took off the washers on top, but got a little frustrated by the lack of clearance with the wires (and wanting to keep the system up) and wound up not messing with it.  Maybe a small screwdriver is good for this?

Dave