I bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge

Pfenning · 8368

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Does anyone have experience with these tables or cartridges? It should arrive later this week, and I was wondering if anyone had any setup tips or tricks for me.

Pfenning 

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:43:56 AM
I have one, not much different in the setup of these than in other turntables.  Give it some time to settle, at first I could here the motor but that went away in a week or so.  I went ahead and bought the speed box, and upgraded the platter, that really makes a big difference (no more manual speed changes) and that may have quieted done the motor. 
I have mine in a granite sandbox, dancing doesn't seem to affect it.  Whatever shelf you use should be sturdy.
The bias weight fishing line is a little short for my liking, but that's just a preference.  I had plans to upgrade the cartridge but the Ortofon Red sounds pretty good and I haven't seen the need yet.
Not many tips but I would recommend the speedbox and a good sturdy vibration platform.
Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:17 AM
Thanks Alonzo, I'm glad to hear you like it. I have been looking at the speed box. I'll try it stock first, then possibly add it.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Mike V.

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:54:19 AM
Hi Pfenning,

I used  to own one and it sounded pretty well. But when I realized that I wanted to start upgrading my rig, I sold it and got a Pro-Ject Xpression Classic it came with a Sumiko Pearl (I thought it sounded just ok), I upgraded this turntable with a speedbox and a new cartridge a Dennon DL-103R and now I think I will stop and just sit and enjoy.

A good upgrade to your Carbon would be the acrylic platter, the speedbox, and you could swap the 2M red needle to a 2M Blue Needdle (they use the same body).

Crack w/Speedball/HD650/DacMagic-100/

Mainline (on the way)/K702/ProJect Xpression III Classic w/ DL-103R/ Speedbox/Cambridge Audio 651p/

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 04:56:50 AM
Thanks for the information. If you have to choose one, would you pick the platter or the speedbox?

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Mike V.

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:17:40 AM
Thanks for the information. If you have to choose one, would you pick the platter or the speedbox?

Pfenning

I´ll go with the Speedbox, instead of the Acrylic platter you could get a Cork mat.

Enjoy your TT!

Mainline (on the way)/K702/ProJect Xpression III Classic w/ DL-103R/ Speedbox/Cambridge Audio 651p/

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:06:15 AM
I'm using a homemade record mat currently. It's a layer of dynamat glued to a layer of cork. I didn't even try the mat supplied with the table, it is a felt material that is about as thin as toilet tissue.  ;D  I might pick up a speedbox, but the table sounds pretty darn good right now. I have it set up in my hobby room, and I listened to it for about 10 hours yesterday while I wrapped some presents, and finished up a guitar that needs a new home. I have it plugged into a vintage Marantz 2215 (15 watts), driving some bookshelf speakers. It's a pretty great system for what it is. In the right room, it could be a seriously great system. I picked up that Marantz for $20 at the thrift store quite a few years ago, and I'll be hoarding as many of those as I can for the right price. It needs a little service, some lights are burned out, and there is a small hum in the left channel. Nothing that can't be fixed. I'll try and get a picture to post. 

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Mike V.

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:45:10 AM
wow that Dynamat/Cork Mat sound so interesting, you did it by yourself?

The marantz 2215 looks great when all the lights are working, you should restore it!!

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 02:50:02 PM
Yep. It was easy because the dynamat is adhesive on one side. I used cork from Hobby Lobby or one of those craft stores like that. I stuck them together and piled some weight on top for a week or so. Then I cut the center hole with a 1/4 pin punch, and a wood block with a 5\16 hole in it. Then I used a string to mark the OD circle, and carefully cut it out with an exacto knife. Overall the thickness is just over 1\8". Cheap and easy.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Mike V.

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 04:58:14 AM
and where did you get the Dynamat? autoparts shop?
it sounds easy to build, I think I´ll try it later...

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:47:03 AM
I got mine at the car audio shop in our town. It's a dense rubber product.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 08:41:01 AM

Pfenning

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47:31 AM
I used to sell the Marantz 2215 back in the Hey Day of Marantz transistor amps.  It weighs a lot more than 100X5 WPC AV receivers today.  It is rugged stuff.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 09:38:49 AM
After listening to this 2215, I would love to grab a 2250 or 2275. 15 watts on mildly efficient book shelf speakers is quite impressive.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 10:40:21 AM
Also using a Spin Clean here, I picked what I thought was up a pre owned one a few months ago when it arrived it had never been used  ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:14:21 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!