Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Stereomour... but...

Mistertaz · 8890

Offline Mistertaz

Hi!

I've been lurking for a while and trying to decide which Bottlehead Amp to buy to start my DIY adventure. The Stereomour sounds perfect as it's probably a significant step-up from the SEX amp in terms of being a "keeper" rather than a stepping stone, and also *much* cheaper than a Foreplay + Paramounts. However, I have a couple of questions (which are probably too subjective to really answer)...

1. In terms of learning how a tubed pre-amplifier and amplifier work, would building the integrated Stereomour give me a good idea of how the two work, or would building a separate Foreplay and Paramounts help to teach me significantly more (with a bit of reading on the side of course).

2. Is the performance of the Foreplay as a line stage significantly greater than the preamplifier section of the Stereomour?

3. Is the performance of the Paramount (in 2A3) significantly greater than the amplifier section of the Stereomour?

I guess what I'm wondering is, how much of the saving in cost of the Stereomour is due to making it integrated and reducing the chassis, top plate and parts count, vs the difference in quality of sound reproduction.

Thanks for your time! (Sorry if these are ridiculous and impossible to answer questions!)
Taz.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:57:30 PM by Mistertaz »

Offline Grainger49

1) The act of building will probably not teach you how they work.  When you go back in to modify it you will get a better understanding of what is going on.  Don't get me wrong, all along the way the instructions tell you what part of the amp you are working on.  But most builders are just trying to get to the music for most of it to sink in.

2) The Stereomour doesn't have an integral line stage, neither does the SEX.  But both can be used without a line stage.

3) The big guns will have to jump in here, but the Paramounts are pretty much all out.

I think those are good and reasonable questions.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
There is a lot more going on in the Paramount than in the Stereomour.  Of course the Stereomour is closer to Paramount performance levels than any of the Paramour predecessors, but the Paramount has a vastly superior driver, DC on the filaments, separate dual mono high voltage supplies, and really good iron. 

As far as learning goes, coming here to ask questions will be most helpful, regardless of which kit(s) you buy.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man