Flying w/Crack

ironbut · 1627

Offline ironbut

on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:00 AM
I'm going to the Chicago Headfi International Meet in a few weeks and I'm planning on taking my Crack amp.
I've always hauled my gear to these kinds of events by car but this time I'm flying. I'm wondering what the best way to take my Crack amp and headphones (which are kinda delicate)?
Should I pad them well, stick them in a backpack and take them as carry on or will I have to totally unpack it for inspection?
With the added cost and hassle of check in bags, I'm rather reluctant to do that. But, I'm just guessing about that option.
Any experience with this kinda thing would be appreciated.

steve koto

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:57:24 AM
Buy a rolling Pelican case that you can carry on. Don't pack the crack in checked baggage. A search of Pelican's website or of Google will provide the model number for the biggest rolling bag that can be carried onto the plane.

Don't worry about security, last time I carried on a piece of tube gear one of the security guys knew exactly what it was.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:38:46 AM
Thanks Paul,

I've been meaning to buy one of those for taking my Repro Amp all over the place. So, this should be enough to get me off my penny pinchin' ass and buy one.
I didn't realize they had wheels and a pull up handle. After watching "Up in the Air" this'll make me feel like an Asian George Clooney,.. only better lookin'!

steve koto

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:56:56 PM
Hey Steve,
I didn't see that it was you.  PM me if you want, I'd be willing to loan you mine for a trip if you want to try it out.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man