Insufficient Power Conditioning?

Andrew Lee Rubinger · 10171

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 08:22:47 AM
I concur that some inspection is in order.

I thought I was being all Mr. Handyman when I put a new microwave/range hood in, but the circuit feeding it also does my bathroom lights.

On the plus side, I know when my coffee is finished being reheated while I'm in the shower.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 09:07:45 AM
I'd never give you advice on house wiring but the circuit breaker advice came from my buddy Ron.  He has worked for Square D, Cutler-Hammer and ITE/Siemens in the molded case breaker divisions.  I've replaced several since receiving that advice.

4krow

Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 01:00:12 PM
Eight years ago, I bought my house that was constructed in 1930. To cut to the chase, EVERYTHING from the power transformer to the circuit box, and even a dedicated line was replaced, not to mention every outlet in the house. Even after all that, I found the best relief from first buying a large isolation transformer with 8 separate secondary windings and using a PS Audio P500 on one of those windings to do the rest. Almost everywhere I have lived has had to one degree or another, voltage/noise problems. You have to start somewhere, and more often than not, I find loose connections and more in one or more electrical outlets. You might start with this thinking and work your way back.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 02:16:06 PM
A similar experience. I'm active duty Navy and move every three or so years. The best piece of gear I own is a PS Audio Premier Power Plant. Constant dependable 120v output no matter where I've lived including Japan!  Having clean power makes a large sonic improvement.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:49 AM
I'm running all my analog pieces on an old, first product, PS Audio P300.  It is fed from my wall outlet.

Offline aroide

Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 04:41:30 AM
I had serious noise issues with my BeePre.  After sleuthing, I realized that my AC voltage at that plug got down to 116V at times.  At the breaker box, 120V, but lots of loss through all the wire nut connections and distance with a large current draw device (plasma TV) on the circuit.  I did buy some silver conduction 'grease' but never got around to putting it on all the connections on that circuit.

In the end, I threw $$ at the problem and bought a PS Audio regenerator to get Ultra clear 120V and my BeePre has been very happy ever since.

Its a bit scary that houses can have so much resistive loss in the wiring.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline crgolfer

Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 11:44:43 AM
I also had noise problems related to my plasma tv.  I couldn't find the cause until I noticed that the noise went away when switching channels.  The noise did not start until the tv is on for some time so there must be some kind of noise buildup going on.  I switched the wall connections around which seems to have solved the problem.

Offline aroide

Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 04:13:41 PM
My voltage is low (as low as 112V) in my listening room also as its on the same circuit as the family room plasma tv and has the longest wire runs in the house.  The Bee Pre does not like lower voltage I have found.  Re-wiring house circuits is expensive, so my about-as-expensive-but -better option was to buy a PSAudio power regenerator.  Now I have ultra-clean, fairly low impedance 120V and very happy audio gear.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline elko

Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 09:38:55 PM
I'm living in the Netherlands, and my Beepre struggles with the power (230v), the wallsockets deliver, to. When the voltage drops i'm getting some terible hum in my left channel. I already tried a small powerconditioner from furman. This device only filterd incoming power from hf noise. This didn't helped that much, so i send it back. I'm reading on this topic about the AC regenerators doing a marvelous job. Unfortunately such a device is way out of my reach pricewise. Nearly €5000,- is a really big investment.

Maybe i found a budget solution. What if one uses a DC-AC converter, the devices uses in caravans and motorhomes to connect home equipment to a 12v or 24v DC source. There are ones availble producing pure sine wave output at 230V. Connect one to a 12v DC supply so no batteries are needed.

I already orderd one of these devices and going to try this out soon. What are your thoughts on this. Is it actually a good idea or can i harm my equipment?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 04:38:31 PM
If your line voltage varys that much. How about using a Varic to supply it?  They are not that expensive and you can dial in the voltage of the day...John

John Scanlon

Offline Deluk

Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 03:52:05 AM
It looks as if the voltage standard for supply in the Netherlands is 230v +6%/-10% so in theory any equipment sold there should perform to spec within these limits. Perhaps the BH stuff can be considered a special case but I would have though it would be well within those parameters and therefore work without problems. Perhaps a comment from Doc would enlighten.
We are supposed to get a nominal 230v in the UK +10%/-6%, % the other way round, and I believe it is generally close to 240v.
I think the same power transformer is supplied to UK and the rest of Europe?

If you are suffering due to low volts I don't think a variac will help as the max it can supply is the voltage it's being fed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:00:48 PM by Deluk »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 03:39:07 PM
Most variacs will go up to a bit over the input, maybe 10% or so(?)

Those asymmetrical voltages disguise the reality, which is that originally the UK was on 240v, the Netherlands was on 220v. In order to have a single EU standard , the Eurocrats split the difference (230v) with a tolerance allowing each country to keep their original power generators. If you live in or near the EU, you are well aware of the bureaucratic difficulties involved!

In the early days of Bottlehead, our European customers were almost entirely from the UK, so we just made 240v transformers. We are gradually switching to transformers with semi-universal windings. By "semi-universal" I mean to include the varieties of "230-v" but not include Japan which is on 100v.

Paul Joppa

Offline marco08

Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:20 AM
good news for the new builders !! any chance we first comers from the continent could get a couple new transformers ? about one day in three, i get closer to 215/220 out of the french network, and some buzzing... what do you think ?

Offline elko

Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:06 AM
Goodevening fellow Bees,

Trying DC-AC converter didn't help. It made the hum always present. Obvious because it converted exactly 230V, which is lower than power from my wallsocket most of the time.

I just found a nice deal on a variac (0-260v). Hope to receive the transformer soon so i can transform my own 240V :D I'll let you know if this is a solution to my humming problem.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:34:25 AM by elko »

Offline elko

Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 03:10:05 AM
Finally found a solution for my hum problem. A variac which cranks up the voltage a bit is doing the magic. Very glad this solves the insufficient power condition in my case. Since the variac is providing the power there is a small hiss only the left Channel. At reasanoble listing volumes this is neglectable.