Noob Question

TexasRugger · 2902

Offline TexasRugger

on: May 17, 2010, 04:52:47 PM
Sorry, got to be the first to ask a truly newbie question.  I've built the amp (experienced no major difficulties thanks to the outstandingly clear instructions) and am at the point of measuring the amp before I power it up. I've done the resistance testing and am ready for the next part.  Am I supposed to power this thing up while its sitting upside down?   Do I turn it right side up after it's been powered off?   Why is terminal 12 a better proxy for ground than the ground wire (E)?  Thanks,

Tex
aka Steve

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:00:53 PM
I've done the resistance testing and am ready for the next part.  Am I supposed to power this thing up while its sitting upside down?   Do I turn it right side up after it's been powered off?   Why is terminal 12 a better proxy for ground than the ground wire (E)?  Thanks,

Yes, stick the tubes in and power it up with the chassis plate upside down.  Terminal 12 is better than the IEC ground terminal because there are less opportunities to accidentally short something out. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:37:05 AM
Seems there was a SNAFU with the manual in one shipping.  Check this thread for the corrections:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,657.0.html

Be certain you have the wiring as Doc has corrected it.