Plate choke painting?

Samsquatch · 3024

Offline Samsquatch

on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
My kits came by post today and it's finally time to start givin'er. To err on the side of caution I thought I'd ask you guys. Can I remove the steel jacket form the plate chokes to paint them? I'm going to spend some time in the wood shop and paint booth at work tomorrow to prep for the build.

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:05:39 PM
No.

The plate choke has a thin spacer between the butt-stacked E and I laminations; the spacing is a critical parameter. The channel frame holds it all together. Vacuum impregnated goop also holds things together, but that includes the channel frame - anything strong enough to get it off will likely damage the spacer as well.

IMHO the best way to improve appearance is to put them in a perforated or woven metal can. Sometimes you find them as desktop pencil holders - keep an eye out. The plate choke dissipates some heat, so a sealed or encapsulated can is risky.

Paul Joppa

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:17:53 PM
Duly noted. When I was looking at them the little alarm went off and stopped the mechanic in me from just going ahead and prying them off. Gently of course.

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:21:44 PM
You can just tape up the wires, then spray the whole choke with whatever color suits your fancy.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man