New to Foreplay III - need some advice

siedsma1 · 10393

Offline siedsma1

on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:13 AM
I am completely new to the world of tube audio and tube DIY. I have alot experence with DIY speaker builds, but am concerned with matching existing componets with the Foreplay III. I just ordered the kit and am planning on using the Foreplay with my Anthem 5 channel (bi-amped) or a Bryston 4BSST. What compatabilty issues would one expect, if any? Am I going to have gain issues, my speakers you could say are difficult to drive. I would also like to complete the kit using only one set of inputs and no selector switch, is that nonsense or a easy change? Please help!!!

Thanks
Keith

Offline coca

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:35:57 AM
That should be easy and ok to do. I often build linestages with only one input. Follow the normal instructions in the manual, and just bypass the selector switch only.

Bernie.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:42:52 AM
Keith,

If your amps drive your speakers well now you are 1/2 the way there.  The FP III has enough gain, and puts out enough voltage to drive any amp I have used to maximum output.  That includes Krell, GainClone and Bottlehead Paramours.  

Typically transistor amps get too loud at a low setting on the volume control.  The key is that you can trim the inputs so that you get to use all of or most of the volume control.  The resistors and instructions are standard with the FP III.

It sounds like you can solder and read.  That is what is needed for a Bottlehead kit.  

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:37:29 AM
Input sensitivity may be an issue for you.  There are good instructions in the manual that describe what to do if you end up with too much gain (all you have to do is change one pair of resistors per input).

I would strongly suggest building the kit completely stock first (use all the RCA jacks and the selector switch), then you can easily solder some jumpers across the selector switch to bypass it, and those jumpers can be removed later if you change your mind or come up with other plans.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:54:39 PM
Paul has a good point, going back in to add the other inputs and the selector switch would be a PITA.