Turntable Kits?

tdogzthmn · 25207

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: March 04, 2015, 12:49:51 PM
Are there any good turntable kits out there that users can recommend?

Would Bottlehead consider offering their own DIY TT as a kit? 

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 03:25:48 PM
I guess by asking this question, you're relatively new to vinyl?
There are some kits out there, but IMHO a kit is not worth it, & since there are so few to be seen, I think manufacturers have realised that as well.
The main cost in turntables is the components - plinth, motor, bearing, platter, arm, etc. Putting those together is a minimal cost.

There are some good budget turntables from the likes of Pro-Ject, Rega, U-Turn Audio that will sound better than the average 'consumer' plastic affair you will see in big electronics stores these days. (guess it's a good sign though, that at least they HAVE turntables)

Also, there are fine vintage turntables to be had, some for not much money. And there is a lot of business in aftermarket parts for many models, which ends being somewhat like a kit anyway when you start replacing parts.

Hope that helps. ;D

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:42 AM

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:12:27 PM
Thanks for the responses.

The only kit I was able to find what the one you posted Hank, but it didn't appeal to me.  I had thought there would be more kits available for purchase.  It doesn't seem overly difficult since there are many DIY build threads on various Vinyl forums.

I'm very happy with my current turnable, but I like the idea of assembling one myself.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:07:59 PM
If you're interested in the DIY type work with a turntable, it might be worth considering refurbishing an idler.  Though it's not strictly kit construction, these tend to be very rewarding projects that aren't insanely difficult.

-PB

(PS - if you come across one, don't buy a BIX!)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Wanderer

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:58 AM
Back in the late 1980s I purchased a used AR AX and added some of George Merrill's upgrade parts. Replaced the stock tonearm with a SME IIIs.

http://vinylnirvana.com/merrill-turntables-mods/

Merrill does not have his modifications available anymore but Vinyl Nirvana doe have some upgrade parts for sale. I have purchase some odds and ends (new belt, upgrade pulley) from Dave Archambault at Vinyl Nirvana and he has been fine to deal with.   

http://vinylnirvana.com/ar-replacement-upgrade-parts/

He also has parts for some Thorens belt drives and looks like he is developing more upgrades for the Thorens 150.

Also there are AR upgrade parts from Sound of the Wood - I have no experience with purchasing from them.   

http://www.soundofthewoodaudio.com/ar-mods

So a DIY possiblity is getting a decent used belt drive, Thorens or AR, and modernizing/tweaking it.

Still use my upgraded AR and have been very happy with it.     
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:45:30 AM by Wanderer »

Kevin R-M

Offline Bill Epstein

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:32 AM
Have you tried Diyaudio.com?

I see tonearms all the time, not so much on tables but there are projects.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/

VPI Traveler/ZYX R50
Cinemag 3440 AH
Steve Brown Caravaggio Phono
Foreplay 2.1
The Twins: 55 Watt Mullard 5-20 KT-88 mono-Blocks
4 Pi Speakers

Offline krandle37

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 06:38:02 AM
You can also consider Lenco Heaven (LH).  Its principal focus is rebuilding Lenco idler-drive turntables.  However, there are sections on other turntable projects.  I am a member of LH and rebuilt from a Lenco 55.  If you are comfortable working with wood and have tools, it is not overly complex.  However, the results are very satisfying.  The important aspect of the build is mass (the more massive the energy sink, the better).

Lenco Rebuilt turntable, Denon DLS1, VPI JMW 12.5, modified Jasmine LP 2, Jungson JA-88D integrated amp, Orca designed Focal TMM speakers, Tascam DA 3000

Offline richie60

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:46:59 AM
You can also consider Lenco Heaven (LH).  Its principal focus is rebuilding Lenco idler-drive turntables.  However, there are sections on other turntable projects.  I am a member of LH and rebuilt from a Lenco 55.  If you are comfortable working with wood and have tools, it is not overly complex.  However, the results are very satisfying.  The important aspect of the build is mass (the more massive the energy sink, the better).

+1 for Lencoheaven.

I was going to suggest having a go at a PTP, just find an old l75 or 78 for parts and you're away.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 03:01:51 AM
+1 for Lencoheaven.

I was going to suggest having a go at a PTP, just find an old l75 or 78 for parts and you're away.

+2! You can't go wrong with a simple idle turntable like Lenco, and if you dig deep enought I think you can still find some bargains out there!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline rockdoc

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:39 PM
PTP Lenco is my choice after a lifetime of VPI, Linn, Merrlil, Garrard 301, 401, Thorens TD-124, I couldn't be happier. And the folks on Lencoheaven are great. Built up an L-78 on a PTP plate, and it beat them all.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 03:39:20 PM
This thread is like a daffodil. Every spring it comes back to life, then wilts. Chris was pretty right on three years ago when he said that all the cost is in making the parts. The labor to assemble will be minimal. Thus a kit will cost about the same as a finished turntable of the same quality. Refurbing an older table is a cool idea, but I imagine the vinyl surge has created a vacuum of used tables.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 11:17:25 PM
I saw an interesting piece on troelsgravesen website where he built himself a maglev TT using parts sourced from ebay.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/maglev.htm

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 05:38:01 AM
Here is a great DIY tonearm project from Audiomods:  http://www.audiomods.co.uk/armkits.html

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:46:44 AM
Another DIY option is coming soon from Groovetracer - their own custom Delrin plinth that is compatible with most of their products and Rega's.

http://www.groovetracer.com/news_groove_tracer.htm

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs