CAT-5 cable - rip string

wullymc · 1972

Offline wullymc

on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:47 AM
Hi there,

Just wanted to ask a simple question.  I used the rip string to peel back the cat-5 cable.  I have been successful, however the ends do not look tidy (talking about the grey casing).  Would it be okay just to put some electrical tape around the ends of grey casing?

I have made mistakes before and just wanted to be sure if I did this I am ok and not be thinking after being told to remove it "what was I thinking!"

Thanks...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:05 AM
should be no problem.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:06:06 AM
Dave,

The neatest thing for that is heat shrink tubing.  If you have none on hand Harbor Freight sells small packs of it.

I did this with the audio cabling (STP) inside my Eros.  Also on top of the C-7X twisted wire for the power supply.  It kept the wire from un-twisting.

It is a great invention.  Up there with cable ties and Velcro.

Offline wullymc

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:07:28 AM
That's a great idea Grainger.  Thanks.

I have placed my order for some heatshrink.  It will slow me down a little to enjoy the build more.....but you made me spend some $$ on 6P14P-EV tubes too!!  Ah....I love this hobby!

Take care....Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:15:12 PM
FYI your local Home Depot will stock it as well (in the electrical section, by all the connectors and zip ties), just in case you want to get started right away :D

Your local hardware store will also sell heatguns, which are great if you plan on using heatshrink more in the future. I think the last time I was there they had one for around $35.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline wullymc

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:31:07 PM
Thanks HF9.

I received the tubes and heat shrink from Partsconnexion.  Ordered on Friday received on Monday!  Not bad.  I also have a heat gun from Walmart that I think I paid either $15 or $19 for.  Bargain.

I cut the heat shrink, gunned it, and it looks great.  I have already done the input wiring and the DC voltage.   It is taking shape.

Loving the build so far.

Dave

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm