DAC OS Questions

debk · 5171

Offline debk

on: March 15, 2015, 03:39:11 AM
I guess the ultimate question should I just dump the windows stuff and get a mac mini.  If I go with the mac mini, is the base version adequate with only 4GB of RAM?

Which output mode should I set JRiver to, ASIO or WASAPI? 

One other question

Does the DAC work with OSX  Yosemite?

Thanks
Debra
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:54:26 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:00:16 AM
Hello Deb,

I split your questions out into a separate thread since there will undoubtedly be quite a bit of information posted here.

WASAPI is Windows Audio Session API, and in Jriver you can set it up in Exclusive Mode to bypass the Windows mixer and improve communication speed between the PC and the DAC.  I personally recommend this selection.

ASIO (to my understanding at least) was a generic driver package produced to get sound data off a computer and into a sound card with the least amount of interference from the operating system itself.  I have briefly tested this with the DAC, but it does not support all the sample rates that the DAC does. 

Do let us know what issues you were having with your other machines.  On the Windows side, we are aware that certain laptops need to have USB boot disabled in the BIOS, but otherwise we haven't seen any other issues (yet).

-PB

(Josh, Dan, or someone more Mac savy will have to come along to discuss the other inquiries)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:40 AM
Either platform will work fine once configured. The idea that only certain computers can manage the task of playing audio files is a bit wonky (and I say that as a life long Mac user).

Yosemite should work fine. We have used Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mavericks. 4GB should be fine, but more is usually a good idea, and it's usually pretty easy to find used upgraded Macs.

We have also used windows XP, 7, and 8. If you are having trouble getting it running, that is what the forum is for. Post your hardware and software info, as well as what you have done and the problems you are having and we will get it sorted out.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline debk

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

I actually had a Surface pro 2 that I use on the field when flying rockets, so I decide to try it and see if it would work.
I had it up and running with the DAC in no time, totally painless!  It must have been how the other computer was set up or some bios setting that wasn't correct, but it is running great on the surface pro 2.

Now I just have to mount it on the wall near the rest of the system and I can have a touch screen input system for digital music

Thanks again for all the advice

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:36:29 PM
I tried it with my Macbook Air and it was much easier to set up!

I think I will just get a Mac mini to use with it

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline aroide

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 06:16:59 PM
Deb,

There is currently an issue with new macs (2014 and 2015) which all run Yosemite, and USB.  Its unclear what the issue is, but the USB to DAC is unusable.  I have another XMOS DAC that works fine, but the Bottlehead DAC doesn't.  Not sure if the BH DAC uses a mode that my other doesn't, or if there is some subtle driver issue on Yosemite, the DAC, or both in combo.   Toslink works fine though.  Check on the thread here for more information: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7699.0

Just want to make sure you are aware before investing in a new mac mini.  An older USB2 mac min should work fine.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline Horatio

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:26:00 PM
As a side note, if buying a Mac it is always worth checking out the Apple Refurbished Store - its a simple text link at the bottom of their online store. I have bought many Mac's / Apple products from there and what you tend to get is either:

1) Discount over the same base model in store

2) Massive spec boost for the same price as a more basic in store model

They come with full guarantee and in absolute mint condition. I tend to use it to get much more machine for my money - I think the ones I go for tend to be high spec 'build to order' machines where the customer has upgraded the components and then canceled / returned the order before / when it arrived. These are then non-stock machines that they need to find a home for.

Bill

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:56:37 AM
Please don't limit your choices to Windows or Apple. Don't get me wrong, both make excellent platforms for music transports. But please consider Linux as an alternative as well. Linux is generally less resource intensive and can be run on lower power computers. You might already have everything you need. I've re-purposed older computer hardware to be used as high end music servers using Linux on several occasions. Don't expect it to always be "plug and play". You may need to dig into the settings a bit to get things working but its not too bad. If "getting your geek on" isn't your thing then maybe this wont be for you. If there is enough interest in this topic we can start another thread in the Digital section where I can provide more details.

Oh, did I mention that Linux is FREE? ;)   

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:05:42 AM
    .  .  .   Linux is generally less resource intensive and can be run on lower power computers.  .  .  .   I've re-purposed older computer hardware to be used as high end music servers using Linux on several occasions.

Do you make house calls?

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 05:29:30 PM

Do you make house calls?

Of course. If you can pay my fee. ;)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:11:59 AM
It might be worth the gas, I can put you up.  I'm such a computer cripple.  When I do a server I will need lots of hand holding.

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:45 PM
Been a while since I posted, Hi Guys (and Girls).

Just got my DAC, excellent piece of kit. Hypnotic levels of you-are-there-ness.

I placed the order a few weeks ago, but I had nothing to hand to utilise the USB input, borrowed laptops aside. I had a Raspberry Pi lying around (bought one when they came out, played with it & put it away waiting for a suitable application). Quick research showed something called Raspberry-Fi which is now managed by Italians and goes by the name of Volumio. The OS is based on Linux and was a breeze to get working. The interface is web-based so if you plug your Pi into wired ethernet you can use any device on your network, just punch in the Pi's IP address. (It helps if you can assign a fixed IP but it can be made to function via dhcp). It took a while longer to get the Pi's wi-fi operational but now it's all good. My wife was quite surprised when I picked up her Ipad, fired up Safari and started playing the HiFi from it. If you are confident to play around with Linux, give Volumio a go. It doesn't have to be a Pi, if you have a Cubox, Udoo or Beaglebone Black, they're supported too. I use an Android tablet as my user interface, works fine (just power up Volumio BEFORE the Bottlehead DAC). I expect this a similar price to a very second-hand Mac.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline kumasan

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 04:55:24 PM
Volumio on a Cubox at my system did not work until I by coincidence powered up the BH DAC 1-2 seconds after powering up the Cubox. My Volumio doesn't detect the BH DAC if I power up the DAC at the same time or before the Cubox nor does it detect if I power up the Cubox and wait for a while like 45+ seconds. I did not investigate just how many seconds I can wait as I have found something that is working. I have 2 other DACs which does not require this procedure to get a successful detection.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 08:18:19 AM
Deb, I like the mac mini with minitoslink in the headphone jack. Gave a completely different presentation than usb. It's def a good idea to compare them if you can. I have a 3 year old mac mini.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:22:05 AM
Volumio on a Cubox at my system did not work until I by coincidence powered up the BH DAC 1-2 seconds after powering up the Cubox. My Volumio doesn't detect the BH DAC if I power up the DAC at the same time or before the Cubox nor does it detect if I power up the Cubox and wait for a while like 45+ seconds. I did not investigate just how many seconds I can wait as I have found something that is working. I have 2 other DACs which does not require this procedure to get a successful detection.

I use voyage MPD. Volumio is MPD based so this tip may work for you as well. When I boot up I leave the DAC powered on and connected. Voyage MPD likes to see see something on the USB bus on boot up or it isn't happy. Then after the computer is up I power down the DAC, wait 60 seconds and then power the DAC back on. This method seems to work pretty reliably for detection and correct selection of bit-rates.