6C45P tube Rolling

Lambert · 20553

Offline NightFlight

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 02:37:30 PM

The general sound of the 6S15P is more crystalline in nature than 6S45P-E which I think sounds the more organic or analogue of the two. You could say the 6S15P has a touch of solid state about it compared to the 6S45P-E .

The 6S15P without doubt delivers a higher level or resolution its revealing lots of new little details and I have found myself several times now lifting my cans off my head to check/listen for sounds in the house which they were actually new details revealed on the headphones. 

Cheers
Jamie

I popped the 6S15P pair that I got and some time flew by. Umn... almost three years now? I did re-bias them twice and due to a busy work life, likely only able to put around 400 hrs listening time on them. I found myself listening to the Mainline quite wanting the last few months - ready to sell.

I popped in my EH 6C45pi - re-biased them nearly to the limits of the trim pots since they were outputting 180V/190V (should be 145V) 

I suspect the 6S15P were on their way out? While not as wide, once warmed up, these EH are bold, spacious and visceral. Falling in love with this amp all over again...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:39:37 PM by NightFlight »

Offline adydula

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 07:03:56 AM
Hey Jamie and crew...sitting here listeing with T1's and my Crack...and am amazed at how good this combo is....

Jamie as u know I am looking towards getting a Mainline or abrand X but so far because I like building stuff and like the BH sound of the crack its making more and more sense to go the Mainline route..

The availability of tubes and whats inside them, ie the magic exotic metals that Paul mentions etc....and not really knowing what the tube manufacturers are really making or plating the internal elements with palladium etc is a concern.

That said if the tubes Doc sends in the Mainline kits produce this "great" BH sound I could care less....lol.

Also I would like to know if BH sells or would sell extra tubes to ensure we get the same type that was shipped and at what cost?

I would order one set when ordering the kit, not wanting to "hog" or "horde" tubes, just to have one backup set just in case and the same as the originals as best possible.

Alex
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:07:51 AM by adydula »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 12:25:41 PM
AFAIK all 6C45pis are the same.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 12:05:21 PM
I found a supply of 6c45pi's, Reflektor type for approx $17 each....not bad considering most are running $30 each...and higher.

Waiting on the kit to ship, getting excited and cant wait to solder once again.

Thinking of using tung oil on the wood and clear coat afterwords...

Alex

Offline NightFlight

Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:27 PM
AFAIK all 6C45pis are the same.

That's the theory.  Its all subjective.  I think perhaps the best sounding tubes are mystery tubes where all the labelling has been scraped away.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:04 PM
Hopefully it's not all subjective, as then we could all be just as happy buying a pile of $8 MP3 players from an electronics liquidator website and sorting through to find the one that is the most organically liquid and convincingly detailed while having air, presence, bass punch, midrange lushness and PRAT like a fine vintage Malbec, Merino wool running shoes or the smell of wet hunting dogs by the fire.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline NightFlight

Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 03:49:46 AM
Hopefully it's not all subjective, as then we could all be just as happy buying a pile of $8 MP3 players from an electronics liquidator website and sorting through to find the one that is the most....

I'm fairly sure that's described in Dante's Inferno. Likely there's a guy with a pile of them doing just that, somewhere in the shadows of the 9th circle.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 04:32:08 AM
Likely there's a guy with a pile of them doing just that, somewhere in the shadows of the 9th circle.

Or in a dorm room, with his Hipstreet Titan open to an 8000 page MP3 player comparison thread on Head Fi; username - cutesillykitten;  avatar - Hello Kitty with headphones on.

Having said that I admit to having Robby Rabbit decals on my Suzuki cafe racer when I was in college. It was an insipid little 185cc two stroke and I thought the decal was suitable. Wish I could find the picture of that bike.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 09:25:08 AM
Doc,

Probably not too many head-fi'ers would even know whar a 2 stroke cafe racer is!! LOL

I grew up with Hodaka Ace 100's, Suzuki X6 Hustlers, Honda Super Hawks and lots of smoking 2 strokes!!
From the high banks od Daytona, Roeblng Road Savannah, VIR, Mid0 Ohio etc...those were differnent "fast" times.

and I am still alive to tell about it! Ha!

Alex
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:46:48 PM by adydula »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:04 AM
I'm putting together a 1962 Superhawk right now, to run at Bonneville this summer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 09:56:29 AM
Sweet ride Doc

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline adydula

Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 11:56:42 AM
OMG!  That is sweet!!! I used to ride with a friend that had a superhawk and I had a lowly CB160!!
We went to the drag races and back in the 60's they didnt know what to make of us bike nuts!!

So they just lumped us into one bracket and my friend always beat me handly!!
160cc vs 305 for the super hawk!

I was a young 16yr old that was having the time of his life!!
Ha!

Please post some pix if you get to Bonnie land!!
and BE careful!!

Alex

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 12:43:27 PM
I planned to run last year but there was no way I was going to finish the bike in time. So this year I have started much earlier with a lot more commitment. I hope to carry on in your footsteps and get the bike dialed in at the local drag strip this spring. The Hayabusa guys will be shaking their heads, I'm sure. I may have some friends coming to shoot video of the Bonneville run.

My Suzuki was a TS185 dual purpose thumper that I put Avon street tires on, a racy front fender, cut the seat down and reupholstered, put on Tomaselli clipons and a Supertrapp muffler. I ran with a bud who had a CB160. We would ride the back roads between Concord and Berkeley CA, Rick hot shoeing through the turns on that CB like a flat tracker. At the time it seemed like we were so fast. I topped out at all of 80mph in a full tuck, downhill with a tailwind. Then one day a guy on an R90S blew by me on a hairpin. He came up so fast behind me I almost wet them.
I have toyed with the idea of building a CB160 track bike. There's a pretty neat group of old farts who run them in the local road racing club.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 12:55:30 PM
Talk about wetting ones self!!i
The first time I went to Road Atlanta for a 'race' school I was out there on a 600cc bike, and we were mixed in with the then "AMA" 250 gp pros..they were doing a practice test/tune session and I can remember turn 10 at Road Atlanta, downhill with 5 distinct braking markers....I thought I was fast then a 250 gp guy comes blowing by me while i was on the brakes at the 5mark and he goes in down to the 3mark full throttle, then brakes like a wield zombie, turns in and out of the turn he goes, and he looks back at me in the braking area and waves at me!!! OMG....

I got to ride with alot of great racers, held my own by no way was I world famous or in that class....Nicky, Tommy and Roger Hayden, Miguel DuHammel, Dave Aldana, Keith Code and so many more....

So many greatmemories,,,,,bikes, girls, beer, and of course Dynaco!!! Ha!
Alex