Tape Path plus other updates

porcupunctis · 5336

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
on: March 17, 2015, 01:41:28 AM
I started the tape path upgrade on my 1500 last night.  I got one brake out and the tape path parts changed/cleaned.

Waiting for the hardware store to open so I can get one of those really long screwdrivers.  Despite having a whole drawer dedicated to screwdrivers, none of them was quite long enough.  Otherwise, the upgrade is going very well.

While I have it on the bench, there are three other things I would like to accomplish:

1.  Wire some direct-out jacks for the Eros Repro.
2.  Replace a lamp that is out on one of the meters.
3.  Replace/Upgrade the power cord (the original got torn up in shipping and my quick fix is about 14 inches long.)

I'm estimating that these items will be much more challenging than the tape path.  May need some advice here.  We'll see how it goes today.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:49:50 AM
I'm in my 24 hour wait for brake glue to dry so I have time to work on the other items.

I think I have a handle on the power cord issue.

Is there a way to get to the panel meters from the front of the deck or do I have to go from the back?

Finally, where is the easiest place to connect the direct outs?  I'm considering using the 4T position on the switch for direct out and leaving the 2T position feeding the original repro.  I have several other 4T players and my focus for the 1500 will be 2T.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:18:40 AM
I have been fortunate in never having had to replace a meter bulb in a Technics. My hunch is you have to go in from the back, but I could be wrong. Charles King might be able to give you some tips over on the Tape Project forum.  It's been kinda dead there lately, could use a little activity.

If you want to have separate connections for the 2T and 4T playback head you will want to get at the signal where each head feeds the selector switch, I think. Just remove the 2T connection from the switch and figure out a way to route additional cable attached to the leads out to some jacks on the back.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:34:53 AM
Thanks Doc, I will head over to the Tape Project.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics