Issues with ALIX / Voyage MPD

Natural Sound · 14687

Offline John Swenson

Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 03:18:47 PM
I've been trying to duplicate the original post which is MPD. I have been using MPD on lubuntu since that is what I have handy. It works perfectly in all cases, I have tried every possible set of combinations and cannot get the "48 family doesn't work" problem.

I have been able to have it work fine when MPD is already running then plug in the DAC, DAC plugged in before computer started etc. They all just work.

Natural Sound, have you tried having the DAC powered up, but USB cable disconnected from computer, boot up computer, then plugin the USB cable? This works fine for me, and would preclude any possibility of weirdnesses  happening at boot time.

Do you have anything else that might be trying to connect to the DAC before MPD starts up?

If you could give us some precise info on your startup sequence (dac power, cable plugged in or not, MPD starts at boot or not) it would help.

Don't worry, we will get this figured out.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 07:05:13 PM
Josh, I See what you see with the exception that I can recover from any abnormality by playing a 44.1 or 88.2k track. I have never had to power down the DAC.

The Vortexbox runs Fedora 14 and I am using Logitech Media Server as the player...John

John Scanlon

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 04:16:59 PM
Thank you all for your outstanding efforts. I had a family emergency that took me out of town. I'll try the recommendations when I return. Probably this weekend.

Offline debk

Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
Everything hooked up again and the solution worked for me.  Everything plays at the correct sample rate

Thanks
Derba

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 05:59:05 PM
OK, quick update. Please excuse any typo's or grammar mistakes. I just drove 650 miles doing 75 mph the whole way. I'm a bit wiped out at the moment.

Obviously I was anxious to see if the workaround would work for me. So my first attempt was to boot the ALIX with the DAC powered up but the USB cable disconnected as John S. Recommended. After boot up I plugged in the cable and still had the same problem with the "48 family." Then I rebooted the DAC and still had the same problem. But I didn't reboot the DAC correctly. After re-reading what Doc B. Said I disconnected the power and "WAITED TWO MINUTES" before plugging it back in. That did the trick and I can now stream all bit and sample rates. I'll do some further testing tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Thanks to all that helped figure this out.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 06:13:58 PM
I'm happy to report that after three days of listening, all sample rates appear to be operating correctly with my minimalist Linux music server setup. A full review of the Bottlehead DAC is forthcoming.

Teaser alert. It's something pretty special. Scratch that. It's freaking awesome! As some others have reported its very close to analog. The closest I've been yet with a digital source.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:52 AM
Since this is a fairly minor issue with a very simple workaround (power down, switch to USB, wait a minute, power back up) we will include John's fix with the first firmware upgrade. That will probably happen when John cooks up one or two of the other firmware update goodies he has proposed.

Hi Doc,

Can i book my DAC in for a service and have the updated firmware installed?

Every time i power cycle the computer i have to go trough this whole routine of powering off the DAC, disconnecting the USB, powering up again, re connecting the USB, playing a 44.1khz track, then a 192khz, put your left foot in, then your right foot in, then shake it all about.   Problem is this work around only seems to work once every three attempts which is just infuriating, and i am also worried it will wear out the power and usb sockets unplugging them so often.  More than happy to pay your service flat rate, i would just love to get this glitch removed.

Thank you,

Mark

M.McCandless

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 07:55:24 AM
Since you are posting in this thread rather than another, are you using the same software?

How many 192 files do you really have...?

It sounds like you are making this far more complicated than necessary, or perhaps I am misunderstanding your error (since you do not state what error you are actually trying to fix).

It has been my experience that getting the DAC to go from 44 to 48 never requires powercycling. The only time I have found power cycling to be benefical is with distorition issues, NOT sample rate errors. My post on the second page of this thread is quite focused on which solutions fix which problems.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline mcandmar

Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:26 AM
Hi Josh,

I posted in this thread because Johns posts above relate to the bug.   Whenever you first connect the DAC to a computer you have to play a 44.1khz track, then a 192khz in that order, other wise it will mis detect the sample rate and play 192khz at 176khz, 96khz at 88khz, and 48khz at 44khz and so on.

There is a very specific way to get the DAC to work correctly, power up the DAC, then connect the USB cable, then play a 44.1khz track, then a 192khz.  And hopefully it will detect 192khz, if it plays at 176khz you have to disconnect the USB, then the power, wait at least 2 minutes, then try it all again.    I have to do this every time i unplug the USB cable, power cycle the DAC, or unplug the PC or laptop from the mains.  Once you get it set it will work fine, until you have to unplug something.

I believe my DAC was one of the very first units to ship so its possible i may have an older firmware than others, i seem to recall you delayed shipping a batch while you worked out an issue.

Thanks,

Mark

M.McCandless

Offline Lobo

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 01:27:27 AM
Just to add a data point to the discussion, I tried to reproduce Mark's observations in my system, because it is similar (though not identical) to his and I never had those problems. (edit: I assumed from the thread title that this is about ALIX/MPD, but upon re-reading the posts above I realize that this is rather not the case.) Result is that my DAC works perfectly fine and I cannot reproduce his findings. Also, power cycling the DAC for like two minutes has always solved any problem (in the rare event that there was any) and I never had to disconnect the USB cable. Bottom line is that your problem may be either related to a different firmware as you suspected, or to your Alix/MPD PC setup. The second hypothesis you could test by repating your experiments from a different source (other mpd server or PC/Mac).

For reference, I documented my findings. Sorry for the long text, but perhaps it is useful for other people to check against my exact procedures.

My Bottlehead DAC is connected via USB (Supra cable) to a Cubox-i4Pro running Voyage MPD version 0.9.5 with real time Kernel optimizations as described on Punky's Website. I use Cantata as my mpd-client. Actually the version of Voyage MPD compiled for Cubox is called "Voyage Mubox", but as I understand it it is basically comparable to Voyage MPD on ALIX (though the differences I observe my be because of that).

DAC is always on "USB" and is and has never been changed to/tested with other source types. Three experiments follow:

1. Switch on Cubox, wait until it has booted, switch on BH-DAC (display briefly shows "44.1", for less than a second, and then shows "384"), put 96kHz file on playlist, hit play (display shows "96"), listen (especially for pitch and speed, which would later reveal if the track is played with the different/wrong sampling rate).

2. Switch of BH-DAC, wait several minutes, clear playlist and put three files on it (first 44kHz track, second 192kHz track, third the 96kHz track from the first experiment), switch DAC back on (display again briefly shows "44.1", for less than a second, and then shows "384"), play 44kHz track (display shows "44"; sound seems OK), play 192kHz track (display shows "192"; sound seems OK), play 96kHz track (display "96", sound OK and seems same pitch and speed as in first experiment).

3. Stop music, switch DAC off briefly (i.e. for one or two seconds), switch DAC on again, play track from experiment no.1 (display "96", sound OK), switch off/on briefly as before, repeat track order from experiment no.2 (all OK, same behavior as in experiment no.2).

There are two BUTs however: 1. Playing around some more, with an additional file from the 48kHz family (actually a 48kHz track), I ONCE could get a problem, which unfortunately I cannot remeber how I produced it and thus cannot reproduce: Switching the DAC off and on briefly, the display showed "352" (and not "384") aftewards and all files from the 44kHz family (44, 96, 192) played slow. Switching the DAC off for a few minutes and then back on cured this problem and it behaved fine afterwards (this is the proper reset procedure for the DAC that John described somewhere here on the forum). This only happened one other time in two years of use and is not a normal error, it has to be forced by playing around a lot. 2. I remember that some time ago occasionally I had problems regarding the correct recognition of the DAC by Voyage MPD, but it always worked and works if I switch on the DAC after the Cubox has booted, which is now my normal routine. If I have to reboot the Cubox while the DAC is on, I usually leave the DAC on and it is usually correctly recognized afterwards. On the very rare occasion that a problem occurs, I switch off the DAC for like 2 minutes and on again, and everything is fine.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:17:09 AM by Lobo »

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 12:12:41 PM
I have one of the first DACs and after several years I have never been able to duplicate this issue. I run a linex box headless and occasionally the player will go to "sleep" and the DAC will display 384 when I wake up the player the DAC always syncs right up, never have to power off or disconnect the USB...John

John Scanlon

Offline mcandmar

Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 05:39:41 AM
Bump. So anybody know anything about this, or do we need to track down PB?

@Lobo sounds like your system is defaulting to 384khz which would work around the problem as it immediately tries to sync the maximum rate.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:51 AM
Bump. So anybody know anything about this, or do we need to track down PB?
You'd want to track down the designer of the DAC: John Swenson.

FWIW, I haven't had any of these types of issues on any of the firmware versions we have had.  I do leave my music server on all the time.  When I restart it, I power cycle my DAC so the computer picks it up, then everything works.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:53 AM
You'd want to track down the designer of the DAC: John Swenson.

FWIW, I haven't had any of these types of issues on any of the firmware versions we have had.  I do leave my music server on all the time.  When I restart it, I power cycle my DAC so the computer picks it up, then everything works.

This is a real live firmware bug, I will try and find and get it fixed soon.  There does seem to be a work around, if you are using USB exclusively, just make sure the switch is in USB before powering up. If you want to switch between SPDIF/TOSLINK and USB, make sure the first thing played on USB is in the same family as the last thing played on SPDIF. You may have do something specific with audio-midi settings under MacOS.

Doc will have to discuss the firmware upgrade policy when I come up with a firmware fix.

John S.

So are you saying you never received an updated firmware to address this bug?

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 06:51:25 AM
I was only relaying my personal experience, not speaking about the actual firmware versions.  You could certainly contact John with the issues you're experiencing to see if he has any ideas on what to try next!

-PB
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:53:09 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man