toslink connect - hampered by aluminum back plate

Johnnycopy · 3516

Offline Johnnycopy

on: March 27, 2015, 07:07:54 AM
My DAC arrived today. I am trying to run from Toslink output of denon 3910 into DAC. I have one problem, and hopefully not 2.

1) First off, the DAC display shows 888, but the first 8 has no bar ontop.  Hoping this is not indicative of any problems.

2) After playing with for awhile, I noticed the toslink cable snaps firmly into the denon but is unable to snap into the back of DAC as the aluminum faceplate hole is too narrow and the cable housing hits the aluminum instead of seating.

Can I remove the back aluminum faceplate to see if a more direct connection to the DAC solves the problem, or is this something unique about the size of my cable? It is a Sony cable, so nothing weird.

Awaiting your input.

John
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:09:27 AM by Johnnycopy »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:31:59 AM
Please do not, for ANY REASON remove the back panel. Please read the manual, we have tried to be VERY CLEAR that the DAC is not to be opened.

If the DAC does not have a data stream to lock onto, it will not have a value to display. Therefore on startup with nothing connected, it will fill the display with random data. It is nothing to be concerned about.

Your TOSLINK cable end is indeed too big to work. We have used a variety of different cables from different makers without any issue.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:45:50 AM by Doc B. »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:05 PM
Thanks for the help by telephone and the quick reply here.

Be careful when buying toslink cables for use with this dac.  Make sure the ends are narrow.  I went out to buy a new one today, and of the two i looked at, one was too large.

I spent six hours today doing troubleshooting, not knowing if the dac, or my cable, or my denon dvd player settings were the problem.

In the process i proved the dac was ok by hooking up sucessfully to my pc.

After fighting with the dac and my denon dvd player and getting nowhere, i added a home theatre amp and ran the denon cd player coax output into it.  I was able to get the coax digital output working by changing some denon settings but still no luck with toslink even into the home theatre amp.

I had no coax to bnc adapters to try on the bh dac, so as a last ditch effort, i  went out and bought a new 4 dollar toslink cable, and it turned out my old toslink was faulty!

A review to come after i listen alot more, but my initial sit down with the new dac taking over from the DAC in my denon 3910 (with The Upgrade Company signature mod), and playing roger waters amused to death cd, is showing John Swenson's and Doc's efforts have produced a stunningly good product.

Great work everyone who was involved with this product.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:30:50 PM by Johnnycopy »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 02:40:15 AM
Could you post a picture of the Toslink cable end showing what is keeping it from mating with the DAC?  This will help the rest of us from having the same problem.

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:09:17 AM
Grainger, picture is in my first post.  Look at it magnified. It clearly shows the ends of my wider toslink cable hitting the aluminum backplate, preventing it from seating.  If you need a better pic, pm me with your email.

This is not a big deal, and you can find toslinks that fit fine, but just a helpful comment.

Attached here is a copy of my first cable that i tried to cut away to fit into the aluminum recess.   It did, but either i caused a problem in modifying it, or it was already faulty.  It was an old cable.

John
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:12:11 AM by Johnnycopy »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 02:48:32 PM
John,

That picture above makes it clear.  Thanks!