Searching for Sugar Man

JamieMcC · 1546

Offline JamieMcC

on: March 27, 2015, 01:43:15 PM
Had some spare time to kill the other night and ended up watching Searching for Sugar Man its neat little story.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Loggie

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:33 AM
I absolutely love that story.
Its amazing that a person is famous (in another country) and has no clue about it (untill years later).

After watching and buying the documantary I also got me both his albums on CD.
The vinyl albums have been re-released on 180 gr vinyl and plan to buy them also.
Rodriguez has such a nice voice and his songs create a great atmosphere .....its hard not to like what he is doing.

An amazing story and an amazing man......if you haven't heard the name before check it out !

His two albums are:
-Cold Fact
-Coming From Reality

Trailer from the movie : Searching for Sugar Man

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:58:11 AM by Loggie »

Arno

Bottlehead Crack--Lenco L76-Thorens TD147--Cyrus IIIi+PSX-R--KEF Q7--Klipsch R-26F--Marantz CD72 SE--Philips CD202--Musical Fidelity XLPS V3--CNC Phono Stage

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:52:15 AM
I have been listening to the both his albums on Spotify since I watched and am really enjoying them. It is hard to believe they flopped when first released. I expect it wont be long before I end up purchasing them myself in fact being very tempted to go for the vinyl re-releases as can always run spotify for the digital version.

More famous than Elvis in South Africa and hundreds of thousands of albums sold and not a clue about it or a penny seen from the record companies and al those years spent living hand to mouth in poverty. Shameless really but sadly it comes as no surprise and more a sign of the times back then. 

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Loggie

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:16:51 PM
Prices of his secondhand albums went through the roof when that documantery came out.
Couldn't find any on Ebay today btw.
I have a niece in S-Africa and asked her how wellknown Rodriguez is overthere.....and she told me he is indeed extremely popular.

One of those rare stories you will hear during your life.

Arno

Bottlehead Crack--Lenco L76-Thorens TD147--Cyrus IIIi+PSX-R--KEF Q7--Klipsch R-26F--Marantz CD72 SE--Philips CD202--Musical Fidelity XLPS V3--CNC Phono Stage