Mid Atlantic meet

castlesteve · 7848

Offline RayP

Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 01:15:14 AM
I will bring my netbook with JRiver loaded on it. I will also bring my ODAC, PLLXO, 6C33C amp, my version of Roscoe's speakers and a line arrray if I can fit them in. We should be able to substitute the B'head DAC for the ODAC.

If anybody wants to bring their music, put it on a usb stick. Jriver can be used to control the volume.

John, I forgot that Steve is starting the meet earlier these days. Could we meet at 8 am instead of 9 am. If I don't hear from you, I will still presume 9 am.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 06:18:40 AM
What good timing... I haven't checked the board in months and I happen to be free tomorrow morning.  I'll bring a recording I made of my daughter's high school wind ensemble.  I will bring the raw files and those that have some compression and EQ for comparison.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline T Ben

Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 10:02:52 AM
Looking forward to see everyone again.  The time just goes by so quickly.
I will bring the commercial remote pre-amp that I brought last time.  I will bring some vintage speakers as well as the Climax.  I will also bring the DAC.  Depending on what space is left in the car, I can see what else will fit.  I maybe able to bring some headphones and amps if anyone is interested and if I have any room left in the car.     

Offline RayP

Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 02:57:01 AM
It was a very interesting meet and thanks again to Steve for hosting. The big surprise was the foam speakers driven by Dayton exciters.

http://bottlenecksaudio.blogspot.com/2015/06/bottleneck-meet-may-2015.html

We will try to hold our next meet in early October.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 06:54:10 AM
Wow, looks like fun!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline davechen

• about.me/dtchen
Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:26 AM
Wow, looks like fun!

It is.  You should come out some time.  :)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 11:27:28 AM
It was fun, sorry about the DAC, It wasn't till we tried it that I remembered that the manual has procedures to load the driver to Windows and of course I didn't bring it with me, it is plug and play on my server.

Ray's fine 6C33 amp did all the heavy lifting and drove anything thrown at it with finesse. My 300B amps did not make it and if they had it may have been the straw that broke the Cooper's back ;)

Thanks to Steve for hosting and Ray for driving...John 

John S.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 01:18:37 PM
Wow, looks like fun!
Paul has made it to one of our meets... no pressure.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 01:31:32 PM
And it was a LOT of fun - great group of people, too! Reminded me of the old VALVE days - amazing that's actually like 20 years ago.

Paul Joppa

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 01:51:15 PM
I'm glad things worked out and I was able to come for a couple of hours.  Nice to see everyone again.  I'm sorry I missed the foam panels... now I'm interested to try them out.  Thanks for indulging me and listening to my daughter's high school wind ensemble - at least they are one of the top high school bands in the state.  :-) 

As I mentioned, I only listened to the recordings on my headphones so listening with real speakers in a big room highlighted the differences in the mic placement.  Next I got to figure out the "mastering" process.  The recordings were so quiet that we had to turn up the pre-amp all the way. Perhaps we are so used to the "loudness wars" that anything that doesn't have a lot of compression sounds too quiet. 

David B Bliss

Offline RayP

Reply #40 on: June 05, 2015, 02:04:06 PM
And it was a LOT of fun - great group of people, too! Reminded me of the old VALVE days - amazing that's actually like 20 years ago.

Perhaps you should do a revisit of your roots some time and you would probably have a lot of fun.

Here is your challenge - the best exciter  based speaker. Of course it will need an amp to drive it. Let's go with the 6AS7 as output tube, no limit to quantity.

You go girl. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you+go+girl or if you want to get the full effect - Yes, it's not really on topic, but I have found it that Aussie series to be hilarious.

ray

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:42:16 PM by RayP »

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 03:35:30 AM
I've had to restrain myself from getting too excited about these exciters... I'm tempted to buy 10 of them so I can compare panels with 1 exciter to 4 exciters.  But then, the cost begins to add up quickly.  Start with two, start with two, start with two...

David B Bliss

Offline Grainger49

Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:12 AM
I always thought they should go under your listening chair.  Or maybe that was another device.  These do sound interesting.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 08:07:34 AM
My understanding is a "transducer" attaches to the chair and doesn't actually make noise while an "exciter" vibrates the surface making noise.

David B Bliss