Voltage Issue

Bob · 1309

Offline Bob

on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:30 AM
I completed my Bee yesterday, checked it all over, looks good! Did my resistance checks and checked out. I then proceeded to voltage checks. Following the instructions - I got to point of powering up unit and did get all 4 tubes to glow -- heaters working! I then did a quick visual check of PC boards, looking at LED's etc. On the A Side of my CS4 board none of the LED's were glowing, although 2 of the B side LED's were lit. I powered off and checked out the A Side first, I discovered a mis wire (pg 23 of manual) - 3in red jumper from inboard OA to inboard IB -- I actual installed incorrectly into OB instead of IB.

I corrected the error, checked all other connections on A Side CS4. Proceeded to B Side CS4 to insure I had not made same mistake -- it was good. I then reassembled and restarted test.

Again all 4 tube heaters lighting, but still no LED glow on A Side. I checked for excessive heat, spark, smoke smell, etc --- nothing. But did quickly recognize that B Side CS4 voltage reg heat sinks where dissipating heat as you would expect (warm to touch), but A Side CS4, the heat sinks where cool. Since there was no obvious shorting, smoking, over heating to proceed with a initial voltage check for the CS4 connected components (Specifically terminal 1-10). The voltages are as follows ---

1  --  5.1v
2  --  9.8v Should be 90-110V (terminal 17 reads 113v)
3  --  0v

I stopped at this point and went back to verifying wiring. My questions --

1. Have I done damage to my A Side CS4 based on the mis-wired listed above?
2. Any ideas as to the voltage read on terminal 2 as I have re-checked the wiring --- will again !

Thanks much in advance !

Bob S

Bob

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:50:08 PM
Yes, you very likely damaged half the C4S board.  I'd e-mail replacement parts to see about getting a new board for that side.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bob

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 05:04:41 AM
Paul,

Thanks for reply. Will I need to request all parts or just the LEDs and 4 Transistors?  I would assume the resistors are OK as I do not believe they over heated or anything.

Thanks, Regards

Bob S
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:26:57 AM by Bob »

Bob

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:04:16 PM
I'd just junk the whole board, sometimes you can make other problems when trying to get all those parts off.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man