Startup Problem, Laugh With or At Me

Grainger49 · 3124

Offline Grainger49

on: April 12, 2015, 06:07:48 AM
I got my DAC about 12:15, raced to open it and get it to the system.  I turned it on and started hooking up the three cables, I'm using the coaxial digital from my Philips SACD/CD player.

The DAC showed 44.1 when it powered up.  Once the cables were ready I cycled the power, waiting 2 minutes and it showed 44.1 again, which is right.

But no sound, took the Philips downstairs to check the programming, the digital outputs can be disabled, and couldn't get there.  A half hour later I checked, no sound, put in a cheap Oppo, no sound....

I had it on the USB input not the coax! 

(http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/Grainger49/Smiles/SlapHead.gif) . . .  (http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg7/Grainger49/Smiles/SlapHead.gif)

So I'm still wearing the big dummy sign.  You are all invited to laugh at me.

Here is hoping you guys don't have any such silly problems.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:12:59 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:27:32 AM
The problem is, you were,"racing." ;) If you are anything like me you make LOTS of mistakes when you are in a hurry.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:08:17 PM
Yes and such a simple one to delay me 45 minutes.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:57:06 PM
I should have thanked Bottlehead for making the low voltage cable, after the line lump, long enough to reach up to the shelf where the DAC sits in my system.  So few are longer than 3 feet.

Very considerate!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:50:21 AM
I should have thanked Bottlehead for making the low voltage cable, after the line lump, long enough to reach up to the shelf where the DAC sits in my system.  So few are longer than 3 feet.

Very considerate!

I had actually chosen a different power supply for the DAC in the beginning, but when we got it, there was only 3 feet of cord!  There just wasn't any way that we wanted to send something like that out with the DAC, and luckily we ran into the non switching line lump that went with the first run.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:44 AM
I wondered about that as i was expecting a switching unit but that sucker had some weight to it.

M.McCandless