A revelation - power supply.

ALL212 · 1326

Offline ALL212

on: April 12, 2015, 10:58:06 AM
Recently another member and I (this is nothing new - we've just finally got around to doing it) upgraded the power supply on our Crack headphone amps.  What a tremendous difference it made!  I had no idea...

We added the choke to replace the last resistor, tipped the last cap and replaced the IN4007's with Cree diodes.

Being the clueless follower I am as far as the electronics goes and not having enough cash to buy another Crack and measure things...

What happened?  What did those changes do to the supply to make such a change?  Neither of us changed the source or connections to the amp.  Did it just smooth out the return and supply?  Someone send me a stock Crack!!!

My thoughts are that since the source did not change all this wonderfulness has been there all along.  We're just cleaning the path to the final destination - our cans.

Aaron Luebke

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 01:07:36 PM
Paul Joppa has said for years that the power supply is modulated by the audio circuit.  That last cap is in the audio return path.  He also says any improvement in the power supply is heard in the output of the device.  I see his point, you have now heard it.