Headphones for Quicksand

musiciseverything · 2870

Offline musiciseverything

on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:24 AM
I will be using my newly built Quickie and a yet to be built Quicksand for both headphone use and maybe for speakers.  What are the best headphones to pair with the Quicksand?  I have Senn HD600s, Senn 598s and UE IEMs  I can buy a dedicated headphone for this system and would appreciate knowing what cans you are using and others you might recommend.  I know that 'phones are an individual taste, just wondering which ones you like.  Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:16:58 AM
I believe you will get the best performance out of the Quicksand with lower impedance, low efficiency headphones.  These can be somewhat expensive, but there are used Hifiman sets out there that aren't all that expensive. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:19:00 AM
 Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your reply. I was thinking that myself. Since I don't have any of those headphones I was thinking either hi-fi man or Audeze types. I can spend up to $500. It seems that I should be able to do well for that kind of money. It would give me a portable headphone set.  I was thinking along the same lines. I will play from my classic iPod using the 20 pin out and bypassing the headphone out. This will give me the best sound short of the super expensive digital players. What would you buy with $500, new or used?

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 03:29:22 PM
Another question concerning headphones and the Quicksand.  I am auditioning the AKG K712 and am wondering if anyone has tried these headphones with the Quicksand.  Thanks in advance.