32bit playback

mcandmar · 3779

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
on: May 01, 2015, 04:22:40 PM
Is 32bit playback mode supported as i dont have the option with the Windows XMOS driver?

Just curious,

Mark

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:11:24 AM
Yes, 32 bit files are supported, and they are supported by the Xmos driver.  What playback software are you using?  I had to grab Jriver to play back 32 bit test files when building the DAC's.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:28:14 AM
Windows 8.1 / Foobar with WASAPI plugin.  I can select 32bit in foobar but it gives me an "Unsupported stream format:" error.   Also the device settings in Windows control panel only list up to 24bit 192khz.

Using a bunch of test files i can play everything up to 24bit 384khz via WASAPI, including 176k and 352k which i had never heard of before.  Its just 32bit streams i cant do.

P.S. Installed JRiver and have the same issue, set the output to 32bit floating or integer and it gives an error on playback.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:40:02 AM by mcandmar »

M.McCandless

Offline John Swenson

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:04:57 AM
The data format sent to the DAC is always 32 bit, so the driver has to support it. When the driver gets 16 or 24 bit it has to zero stuff to get to 32 bits.

When sending data around from program to driver make sure you are using integer not float. A 32 bit float is actually only 24 bits, so if you have something somewhere set to use float you will be sending 24 bits to the driver.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 06:54:07 AM
Just to add my experience to this thread. I downloaded a "HiRes" demo track a couple of days ago. Turned out to be 32 bit by 352.8 KHz. Played just fine with my Volumio (running on a Raspberry Pi). Just fine is an understatement. It was brilliant.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.