Custom internal wire

wlfbmf · 1277

Offline wlfbmf

on: May 02, 2015, 03:36:20 AM
Hello,
I have some leftover wire I used for some interconnects. It is from VH Audio, 21 gauge solid core copper UniCrystalâ„¢ OCC Copper Hookup Wire with AirLokâ„¢ Insulation. The insulation is rated to 600VDC. Anyone know if I can use this for the entire crack project or are there connections that it will not work.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:09:04 AM
Long, long ago, there were actually Bottlehead kits that shipped with OCCC hookup wire.  At the time, it was covered in clear varnish, which meant you needed a solder pot, sharp hobby knife, blow torch, etc. to strip the wire before hookup.  The stuff from VH Audio is so much easier to work with, it's actually one of the only wire types that I like a little more than our teflon insulated wire. 

This wire would be a good choice for the Crack.  There is absolutely no benefit to using it to replace the red/black twisted pair of wire that goes from power transformer terminals 4/5 to B7/8 and A4/5/9.  Those feeds are high current feeds that are not carrying any signal current, and using the wire there would be a waste.  Otherwise, I say go for it! 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline wlfbmf

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:03:37 PM
Thank you for the info! It is great sounding wire.