What to build after crack?

kekoukela · 3285

Offline kekoukela

on: May 02, 2015, 02:06:20 PM
Hi All,
I have recently finished building my crack (But plan on upgrading some parts once I learn more about it) but right now, I'm itching to build something else. I find that soldering wires/pcb boards is quite relaxing for me. I have the submissive coming in the mail soon and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to any other projects to do? I know I could build a S.E.X or other amp from bottlehead but I want to stick with the crack for a while. If not just to keep my wallet from completely emptying.

It's a pretty open ended question. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what other fun projects that are out there. It does not have to involve tubes or amps :D

Offline aragorn723

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 02:36:50 PM
The Quickie is pretty fun to build, it is running as a preamp in my system now (and there are a bunch of different things that can be upgraded like the coupling caps).  It can also be converted for headphone use, and runs on batteries, so that makes a really nice quiet background, and the sound is very good with the PJCCS board too.

Dave

Offline kekoukela

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:13:13 PM
Hahh. Nice. Anything that is more difficult? It doesn't have to be audio related

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:28:09 PM

M.McCandless

Offline kekoukela

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:26:01 PM
YEA! Those are Hot (in both sense) :D. I was looking into that, do you think that takes up too much power though?

Offline mcandmar

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 04:29:09 PM
They dont produce any heat at all as they are basically neon tubes.  Power consumption is also tiny as they are USB powered.  There is still 160+ volts inside so dont go poking your finger in there while its running ;)

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 04:35:09 PM
The Quickie isn't a difficult build, but definitely fun  8)  There were a couple tight places (like around the potentiometer), but overall not bad.  I'm guessing the crack is more complex since it is AC powered.

Dave

Offline kekoukela

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 05:18:42 PM
Yea I would assume the quickie is fun. The crack was very fun to build. I'm just looking for something more challenging I guess. That also wont break the bank. The Nixie tubes mcandmar suggested sounds so fun!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171714172370?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the one I found. Mcandmar, do you have any suggestions on this? or a better place to get the parts?

Offline mcandmar

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 04:38:32 AM
Or if you have low sensitivity speakers like me you could build a current source amplifier like the Nelson Pass F4, then drive it with just about any Bottlehead product you like.  I'm currently running mine off a Quickie, a Smash or BeePree would work even better, and i know some people drive theirs with a S.E.X. amp too.   All depends on your budget really.

The quickie really is a no brainer, cheap, fun, and you can learn a lot from experimenting with it.

M.McCandless

Offline kekoukela

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:57:29 AM
I'm currently looking for some good speakers, either DIY or not depending on the price range. I have a lack of money now so I'm just trying to get an idea of what to do next/save up.

I bought the submissive for use on my crack and current speaker system. My plan is to change the wiring so I have one input and three output. It is the best way to control volume/audio source for my current setup.  The crack is loud at low volumes and Doc has told me that I can use the submissive as the main audio control (tried the resistor mod but would prefer this)

Currently my speakers are the logitech Z623. THe site doesn't mention the sensitivity. . .