Speedballin'

levlhed · 5682

Offline levlhed

on: June 08, 2010, 03:03:07 PM
I have taken possession of the Crack w/Speedball prototype and I will not be relinquishing it any time soon.  I love it even more than when I first heard it @ CanJam, dropped now into my humble little system.  Fed by a netbook running Ubuntu/Amarok & an Audinst DAC driving my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm cans with a sweetness.

I got it without a 12AU7, but with some kind of 6080.  I have a 12AU7 (and some others) underway and I thought I was going to have to wait because I don't happen to have any of that flavor tube.  But then I remembered that I forgot I had a couple E80CC from my 2 ch. rig that didn't really do it for me on that system.  So I managed to get it up and running without any further delay.

Gosh I like this.  Alot.

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:27:35 PM
Awesome!  You may not even want to remove the E80CC when the AU7's arrive...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline levlhed

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:05:37 AM
I hope not!  Then I'd have wasted money on tubes.
Ahh, who am I kidding....you can never have too many tubes right?

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:32:25 AM

Ahh, who am I kidding....you can never have too many tubes right?

As long as you can move from room to room in your house...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ironbut

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:09:23 AM
Hey Dan,

When it comes to headphone amps, I never can have enough variety of tubes. Even though a given tube set sounds best with one particular headphone, it certainly doesn't mean that it's a universal fit. And unlike speakers, switching headphones is a time honored tradition (and way cheaper too).
So, I take the same tact as CB.
Helpful Hint; if you lay them on their side and stack them with the ends out, you can get quite a few against an 8x22 foot wall.

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 11:20:25 AM
Helpful Hint; if you lay them on their side and stack them with the ends out, you
can get quite a few against an 8x22 foot wall...

rotflmao

Brings a pretty picture to mind :D.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)