Lowther speakers

docbob52 · 8479

Offline docbob52

on: May 10, 2015, 02:16:11 PM
Need advise.  Have  Lowther dx3 speakers here but no idea what cabinets to buy or build for them.  Martin J. King loves them in a TL quarter wave.  Do any of you have any ideas about this?

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:42:55 PM
The quarter wave TL is probably going to be a lot easier to build than many other options.  Typically these drivers use back loaded horn enclosures to get the best results.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thoburn

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:10:08 PM
Need advise.  Have  Lowther dx3 speakers here but no idea what cabinets to buy or build for them.  Martin J. King loves them in a TL quarter wave.  Do any of you have any ideas about this?

I built a pair of transmission line boxes for my Lowther DX-4s. They sounded very good. Then I built a pair of Lowther America Medallions with an extra inch or so in height to accommodate 12 inch Rythmic servo subs in the bottom (facing down). In my opinion the Medallions are perfect for Lowthers. Far better than the transmission line boxes. The Medallions are 'BIG' speakers, but my listening room is very large. Many people including a guy that owns a hifi store have said they are the finest they have ever heard. I drive them with a Stereomour. The sub amps input is the output of the Stereomour.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:11:37 AM
Yup, Lowthers running full range really like to be horn loaded. IME TLs and vented boxes generally aren't as optimal. If you don't want a big horn you might try them on an open baffle and use a sub.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:47:28 PM
Yup, Lowthers running full range really like to be horn loaded. IME TLs and vented boxes generally aren't as optimal. If you don't want a big horn you might try them on an open baffle and use a sub.

That is what Jon VerHalen of Lowther America does. He uses a PM5A ($$$) in an open baffle with an active cross over by Nelson Pass. The open baffle only goes down to 150 Hz, so a good sub is mandatory. The problem with open baffles is they are pretty big and need to be far from the back wall. Four feet IIRC. Check them out at the Lowther America web site.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 03:55:13 PM
Yes, I have shown with Jon a few times. His are among the better Lowther executions.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:28:52 AM
Jon is a very nice, laid back guy.  I spoke with him for about 20 minutes at VSAC 2008.  Here are a couple of shots.  First his two speakers.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FVSAC%25202008%2FIMG_0071_zpsmozbpzcq.jpg&hash=7615f4cadb1756272757a72ac2d8f1e3b4436f64)

And now a shot of the amplifier he built for them.  Note the lack of base:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FVSAC%25202008%2FIMG_0074_zpsm239ky34.jpg&hash=f06f479115c3baa9ab0b8b4624ecfb52dfaf4325)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:18:26 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 04:31:16 AM
The Open baffles sounded really good, I think my favored of the show.

I remember that amp, makes my "Breadboards of Death" seem positively tame...John   

John Scanlon

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:09:36 AM
I remember that amp, makes my "Breadboards of Death" seem positively tame...John

Not a recommended arrangement if someone has small children or pets. ;)

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 07:19:12 AM
I count 24 transformers, 12 caps, and 2 variacs, and thats not counting the board in the background.  I would to see a schematic to figure out what exactly i'm looking at...

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:08 AM
Jon is a nice guy, you might try contacting him.

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59:03 PM
Don't rule out the approach I have taken. Stick with horns and a small active sub unless you have a lot of space. I am using factory-built Acousta 115s. Bought these 8 years ago on Ebay for £280 sterling complete with a pair of PM7C drivers. The "nice old radio" styling fits well with the rest of our decor. Factory 115s still turn up from  time to time on Ebay and usually sell for far less than than it would cost to build a pair. The 115s beam and have a smaller hot spot than more modern designs BUT their (relatively) low height and shallow depth fit much better into my small (12ft square) listening room than the modern designs. Currently using silver-coiled DX3s they will work in my room with any Bottlehead power amps. They are inclined to be brutally revealing but that's not a bad thing if you're giving them the right signal.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline Albert B. Broman

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 08:05:29 AM
Lowthers are on my bucket list. I have  Paramours just setting in the closet. They don't work well with my Triton 1s.
As an aside I bet Bottlehead could do bangup job with something like KT88 monos.

Offline docbob52

Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 04:21:32 PM
Thank you all for giving good advise.  Would love to try some open baffles as they are so easy to build, but won't do in my small 14' x16'listening room as they would have to be intrusively back from the wall. Would love to build some Medallions, or other such , but they way exceed my carpentry skills.

Any advise on where to get some flat packs for back loaded horn cabinets?

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 06:44:21 AM
Thank you all for giving good advise.  Would love to try some open baffles as they are so easy to build, but won't do in my small 14' x16'listening room as they would have to be intrusively back from the wall. Would love to build some Medallions, or other such , but they way exceed my carpentry skills.

Any advise on where to get some flat packs for back loaded horn cabinets?

Here is one. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/

I was going to build the BK-16 at one point. Then I bought an Orca pair with subs and now I'm content.