D amp lurking

Guest · 2038

4krow

on: May 11, 2015, 08:03:47 AM
 I had a decision to make a short time ago. Buy a Smash or buy a ready to go D amp. In light of the fact that I had little time on my hands, I chose the other product. It was expensive at $200 (I mean really, just look inside one of these things).  It has selectable gain which is useful, and even comes with it's own RJ45 connected speaker cables. But for me, that's where it ended. After hooking it up, I should have not been surprised. It sounded pretty much like the other D amp that I own, and that is not a compliment. Harsh yes, and yet beyond that, not a bad sound all in all. Then I read more closely about the Quicksand. Battery power helps tame the harshness,,,hmmm I got some SLA batts in the basement that were to be used for a Quickie project. This amp requires 19VDC. At 24VDC, am I taking a chance?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:30 AM
Read the spec sheet on the chip you have.

4krow

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:54:20 AM
Thanks Grainger,

the TI TPA3100D2 will operate from a minimum 10VDC to a maximum of 26VDC. I will measure the battery output just to be sure, and possibly look for a way to dump a couple of volts.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:54:54 AM
You should really ask the manufacturer of the amp itself.  There maybe components in there that will pop on the extra voltage.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:10:38 AM
Yes, please ask the manufacturer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

4krow

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:32:02 AM
After looking into it a bit more, I think that 24VDC SLA batteries are pushing the envelope. Of course, the other alternative to go ahead and try a single 12V battery. I know, you guys are right about asking the manufacturer first. I did pull up the spec sheet to see what limits are there, and between 10VDC-26VDC, 12VDC seems to be a safer choice. Thanks to all for the input. Last thing that I want/need right now is a surprise after a few seconds of sound. FWIW, I would not be using this amp in my main system anyway, and bought it out of the idea as a backup, or even second system use.
 Presently, I am using a Musical Fidelity buffer to try and tame this thing. Truth is, a Quickie would be hands down a better choice. I should say a Quickie used as a buffer amp.

4krow

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 03:45:27 PM
  Time to put this topic to bed. But before I do, an update should be made. It's simple, I used a 12 volt battery, and now I find the little amp listenable. Not in the way that my SET amp is listenable, but it does not drive me out of the room. The battery idea for your QuickSand is a winner in my book. I'm glad that this time it was transferable to my problem. Next step will be to make a Quickie to go with it and hear the improvement.