Stock Crack vs. Modded Crack

ALL212 · 6195

Offline ALL212

on: May 18, 2015, 03:37:45 PM
I picked up Crack #2 during the recent sale and now have a 100% stock Crack to compare to my modded Crack.  The modded Crack was my 1st BH kit and this new one is kit #7 so I've had some experience working under the hood and my wiring is much nicer.  Senn HD650's are used for listening tests.

Modded crack changes:
Wiring - I like cloth wrapped solid core.  Only on and directly around the transformer did I use original wire.
Attenuator is an Alps Blue
Input RCA's are Vampire
Input wiring from RCA's to attenuator is Cardas 2x24
2 of the PS caps are Rubicons, 1 is Nichicon
Last cap (Nichcon) is tipped with a 1uf Clarity PX cap
230 ohm resistor is replaced with C-7x choke
PS diodes replaced with Cree Shotkey diodes (not pictured)
Output caps are Clarity Cap PX
Speedball is installed
5998 tube in place of the 6080
5963 Rca long black plate in the 12AU7 spot
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi905.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac253%2Fall212212%2FDSC_2862_zpsfbf0qsdd.jpg&hash=a9d1f47c1fa37659261924d67e18a22f3a2ec279)

Stock:
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi905.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac253%2Fall212212%2FDSC_3234_zpswchp4seq.jpg&hash=b644507ce4fdc8d2681dfaad9d704442e6d46012)

I'm hoping to put the o'scope to these and see if I can spot waveform (AC and output) differences.  Most immediate apparent difference is bass.  The stock unit is very nice to listen to but the bass just jumps out at you on the modded one.

Aaron Luebke

Offline grausch

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:39:28 PM
I am very interested to see how they will measure on the o'scope. Would also be very interested to see how both measure with the same tubes, i.e. 6080 and 12AU7 in both.

Once I get some time, I plan to spend some time listening to my Crack to get used to the sound signature again. Once that is done, I plan to start upgrading quite a few parts (err..more than quite a few actually). It would be great to see actual evidence that these do positively impact the performance of the amp.

Cheers,

Gunter

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:53:36 AM
atomicbob has some measurements with different output caps in the Crack thread over on Head Fi.

https://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/6795#post_11509819

I will add my usual comment that there is a law of diminishing returns on the addition of boutique parts. It would be wiser to spend $1200 on an amp kit with a more refined circuit design like Mainline than $1200 on gigantic caps from Ukrainian missile cruisers, spider silk insulated wire that has been passed over the thighs of 14 year old virgins and unobtainable tubes of questionable background for a Crack. However I also support the notion of one doing the experiments for their own edification. I waste money on stuff that doesn't improve things as much as the cost would imply as much as the next guy, though not so much in my audio gear these days as my other hobbies. My suggestion is to keep the spirit of the Crack in mind and make sure the mods you do are great bang for the buck.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:06:07 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline grausch

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:07:17 AM
Hi DocB,

Thank you for the link - do you think I should install some 470uf Rubycon caps in my Crack?  ;) Even though I am kidding, part of me is seriously considering it.

Point taken on the diminishing returns and I agree with you on the Mainline. I should note that I really don't expect that much of an audible difference and I am usually quite sceptical that any upgrades will make much of a change in sound. However, as an electronics noob, I have learnt a great deal tinkering on the Crack and planning & researching future upgrades. My dad sure as hell never suspected that I would one day explain to him how a rectifier bridge works! I also have to note that the more I modify my Crack, the more I start to appreciate the original design. Everything is much better thought out than I originally suspected and to my ears the stock Crack sounded fantastic.

Still looking forward to see the results of the o'scope though...

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 05:14:33 AM
gigantic caps from Ukrainian missile cruisers, spider silk insulated wire that has been passed over the thighs of 14 year old virgins

You owe me a keyboard.  ;D

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 06:34:16 AM
For a lot of us it's all about the chase.  Actually doing hands on work is part of the fun and once the build is done you want to do more.  Also it's easier to pay for a upgrade here and there than to kill the beer budget for a large purchase.  Having a scope does well to track changes, some of the upgrades I've done really didn't show audible improvements (to me) but it's become a fun hobby (cough "obsession" cough).

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:45 AM
Thank you for the link - do you think I should install some 470uf Rubycon caps in my Crack?  ;) Even though I am kidding, part of me is seriously considering it.
There are some operational/safety concerns with putting more than 100uF per channel of coupling capacitors into the Crack, therefore we don't recommend it. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline grausch

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:43:54 AM
PB,

Thanks for the warning. I was considering them in the PS as per this thread (http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7950.0) and not as output caps.

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack

Offline ALL212

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 05:43:34 AM

I will add my usual comment that there is a law of diminishing returns on the addition of boutique parts. It would be wiser to spend $1200 on an amp kit with a more refined circuit design like Mainline than $1200 on gigantic caps from Ukrainian missile cruisers, spider silk insulated wire that has been passed over the thighs of 14 year old virgins and unobtainable tubes of questionable background for a Crack. However I also support the notion of one doing the experiments for their own edification. I waste money on stuff that doesn't improve things as much as the cost would imply as much as the next guy, though not so much in my audio gear these days as my other hobbies. My suggestion is to keep the spirit of the Crack in mind and make sure the mods you do are great bang for the buck.

I find it much easier on my mental circuits and current budget to blow up my Crack and have to repair it than blow up a Mainline whilst playing with updates and wonder "how much to fix this"?  As far as wisdom goes...discuss that with my wife, she has made observations over the years that may put any wisdom I might think I have in serious question.  :o

I've built some kits and the directions are fantastic but I find myself wondering at the end of the build why does all this work.  If I piece out a bit of it (power supply) I can work my way back into the circuit and have some understanding of what goes on in there as I do updates and mods. This power supply filtering is a great learning experience for me.

I also would want to buy a pair of expensive headphones to match the Mainline.  I would always wonder if my HD650's would sound as good as HD800's so my budget feels safer at the Crack + updates level.

Might I also start a new thread with a "Doc Says" title and put your requirements for a good upgrade in there?
Doc says, "...gigantic caps from Ukrainian missile cruisers, spider silk insulated wire that has been passed over the thighs of 14 year old virgins and unobtainable tubes of questionable background..." would be a great upgrade to your Bottlehead Crack kits. 
OK...maybe a bit out of context...  ::)

Aaron Luebke

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:22:22 AM
Well I could probably be making a lot more money if I just put my scruples in the cabinet in the lab. Maybe our next product will be the audiophile grade clip leads we have been talking about for years. I have also wanted to make paper and wax capacitors with ear wax from mastering engineers. And I lose the argument to make a tube powered solder station every design meeting.

Maybe instead we will start a service of replacing the vacuum in your vacuum tubes with fresh vacuum every year. I've got bottles full of the stuff in my basement, some of it rare vintages. We could maybe even do transplants, like put 300B vacuum in EL34s.

"I started out with nothin', and I still got most of it left" -Seasick Steve

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ZacharyP

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:17 AM

Maybe instead we will start a service of replacing the vacuum in your vacuum tubes with fresh vacuum every year. I've got bottles full of the stuff in my basement, some of it rare vintages. We could maybe even do transplants, like put 300B vacuum in EL34s.

Best post all year :D

First bottlehead to build a tube powered soldering station wins...Doc's heart?

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:45:06 AM
Wouldn't recommend ear wax, Doc.
It's full of hair and epithelial surface cells.
Of course, there might be genres that would profit from it:)

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:36 AM
Or a Jacob's Ladder power indicator, would put those wimpy vintage lights to shame...

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline ALL212

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:45 AM
And I lose the argument to make a tube powered solder station every design meeting.

Not embarrassed or shy to say that I would pony up for a vacuum tube solder station right now!  As long as I could upgrade the caps in it...

Vacuum tube vacuum replacement....I like that!   ;D ;D ;D

Aaron Luebke

Offline SCompRacer

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:22 AM
I'd be interested in a warmer summer sounding vacuum instead of a cold winter sounding vacuum.

Nice Crack builds Aaron!

Rich O

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Ref 3 * Krell KSA-250 Amp * Bottlehead Eros * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * DIY Buffalo III Dual Mono DAC * Heavy Plinth/Platter Lenco Idler Drive * Phoenix Eng 25W Power Supply & RoadRunner Tach * Advanced Analog MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II