Battery Supply kit

Doc B. · 12575

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 09:20:28 AM
The way we run the DAC here is to leave it on all the time. If we are not listening it stays in BAT/CHG mode. When we listen we switch to BAT mode. When it gets low it goes back to BAT/CHG. So I don't have a number for full recharge time in charge only/DAC off mode. PB knows the charge rate and can probably come up with a realistic estimate of full recharge time.

The battery is SLA. We listened to several different chemistries and SLA offered the best combination of sonics and practicality. LiFePO4 sounds good too but is not practical from a standpoint of  shipping - USPS won't ship the size of LiFePO4 battery we would need to use.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 04:01:21 PM
I'm close to pulling the trigger on this. One more question if I may. Does the circuit offer under-volt cutoff? I almost hate to admit this but I frequently fall asleep during my listening sessions. Its a great way to relax at the end of the day. Running an SLA into too deep of a discharge will shorten its life. Will the circuit shut down when running on battery power if a certain (low) voltage is reached?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:08 AM
The DAC itself will cease to function before the battery dies, and this give some protection on the battery for an overnight listen.

You could also just leave it on the charge/listen setting.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 09:51:43 AM
I PMd him.  I wanted him to know that he is not the only one who snoozes while listening.  And I was happy to find out too.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 07:29:19 PM
Yeah, but it kinda sucks when you are listening to vinyl...John

John Scanlon

Offline Tubejack

Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 03:23:12 AM
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/q-up-automatic-tonearm-lift/

You can find it at several vendors, including Amazon, but pcX recently had it on sale ....

..... now I don't worry about nodding off ..... works flawlessly on my VPI SSM.

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline glynnw

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 06:49:58 AM
OH NO!   I just realized that my on-order battery supply cannot be turned on and off by my 12V trigger system.  I will have to get up out of my chair and walk 10 feet to turn it to bat only and then 10 feet back to my chair.  I'll be exhausted after that.  I'll have to build some kind of remote hand to turn the switch for me.  ;)  I have an Uptone Audio Regen on order as well - this DAC is going to look awesome with things hanging from it and below it - hopefully someone will invent a new accessory for this DAC every 3 months or so and it will grow into some kind of transformer.  BTW, the Uptone piece was designed using the Bottlehead DAC so I feel sure it will be a great addition.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:06 AM
OH NO!   I just realized that my on-order battery supply cannot be turned on and off by my 12V trigger system.  I will have to get up out of my chair and walk 10 feet to turn it to bat only and then 10 feet back to my chair.  I'll be exhausted after that.
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asseenontv.com%2Fimgcache%2Fproduct%2Fresized%2F000%2F295%2F535%2Fcatl%2F00295535-016668_500.jpg%3Fk%3Dd9398d8a%26amp%3Bpid%3D295535%26amp%3Bs%3Dcatl%26amp%3Bsn%3Dasseenontv&hash=684c31b6f2d16beb787538fd5752f2b6068159c9)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline caffeinator

Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:45 PM
Hey Doc & PB,

Would there be any issues with putting a wooden cover over the battery unit (e.g., heat, etc.)?

I mean a non-intrusive case that wouldn't require opening the unit itself, which I'm guessing would void one's warranty.

thanks,

David

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:36 AM
There shouldn't be any issue as long as there is a little airflow. We do apologize for these taking so long to get out the door. We've had a couple of hangups in getting materials from vendors. The last bits should be in early next week and hopefully the first units will be shipping then.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 12:32:59 PM
Woo hoo, the first of the Bottlebatts shipped on Friday! More are under construction today and there should be more shipping throughout this week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dw

Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19:52 AM
Got the battery kit today. Seems to come with a charge as I've been listening on bat only.
The sound is awesome! Listening to Jenna Mammina event 37 from Blue Coast.
Its 5.6 Mhz Dsf and plays with hiss through Amarra, but fine through Audio Gate.
Using USB input on the DAC.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 08:43:57 AM
Seems to come with a charge as I've been listening on bat only.

Yes the batteries have been measured at about 6.2 to 6.3 VDC when they are packed.

I should point out here that these supplies are not like iPhones where it's recommended to run the battery down all the way before charging in order to extend the usable lifetime. These are SLA batteries and thus they can be left in charge mode as much as one wants. There is no advantage to be gained in terms of lifetime by running them until the DAC dies. In my system the sonic difference between using the stock line lump and the battery supply is significant. Whether the battery supply sounds better in bat only mode or bat/chg mode is much more subtle and might not be easy to discern in a lot of systems. The difference is subtle enough that I usually forget to switch to bat only mode and thus most listening at BHQ ends up in bat/chg mode.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dw

Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 09:13:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I had trouble telling the difference between charge/bat and bat as well.
I thought it was that I was not standing in the sweet spot as I was switching back and forth, or
my hearing, which is fading. I didn't try the comparison between wall supply only and bat kit.