Battery Supply kit

Doc B. · 12559

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: May 20, 2015, 01:33:23 PM
Early on in the development of the BHDAC we started playing with battery power, with nice results. Even with all of the sophisticated regulation in the DAC itself the battery seems to improve the dynamics a bit over the stock line lump. While we felt the DAC itself was not workable as a kit, we do plan to produce this battery supply in kit form. It will come in a cabinet similar to the DAC but wider and deeper. It will contain a 7AH battery that might give about 8 hours of play on a full charge, and a charging circuit that will allow the DAC to play on battery with the charger off, battery with charger active (in case you want to run the DAC for hours and hours at a very slight reduction in sonics) and charge only (DAC turned off and faster battery recharging).

The line lump that comes with the DAC will plug into the battery supply chassis and power the charging circuit. The battery supply will then plug into the DAC, which can sit beside or on top of the battery supply. We hope to have some photos of a prototype supply by early June. Price is TBD. I hope to have a ballpark figure later today.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:04:50 PM
As a matter of interest, will the kit contain the battery? If so, guess you're aware that there may be shipping restrictions depending on the type of battery.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:43:02 PM
Yes it will contain a battery. We are aware of shipping regulations and we are taking this into consideration. However when we started talking about how much time and effort it would take to make this a kit and that many users may not be kit builders (since the DAC is not a kit), we are rethinking the kit aspect. It might actually be more cost effective to sell these finished, like the DAC itself.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris65

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:48:09 AM
Yes it will contain a battery. We are aware of shipping regulations and we are taking this into consideration. However when we started talking about how much time and effort it would take to make this a kit and that many users may not be kit builders (since the DAC is not a kit), we are rethinking the kit aspect. It might actually be more cost effective to sell these finished, like the DAC itself.

Thought you would have it covered. Shipped inside a device is generally much less of an issue as you would know.

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:24:55 AM
cool, looking forward to this

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 01:01:29 PM
Cool, I look forward to seeing how this develops.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:09 PM
I'm interested too :)

M.McCandless

Offline Bodyslam

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:21 AM
I'm also very interested. I had a chance to listen briefly with a prototype battery supply. It made a noticeable difference, in a direction that I liked. I want it!

Paul Stubblebine
Paul Stubblebine Mastering, San Francisco
The Tape Project, LLC
serious student of the audio arts

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:15:54 PM
I'm also very interested. I had a chance to listen briefly with a prototype battery supply. It made a noticeable difference, in a direction that I liked. I want it!
can you say more?

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:43:11 AM
Sounds great doc! Any chance it could be made or configured more universally for you other battery powered gear?

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 05:56:38 AM
The voltages required for the different products are quite wide ranging, particularly if you include Quickie which needs a 36V supply. This supply will just be for the DAC, but perhaps we could consider a supply for Quicksand in the future.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 06:40:49 AM
Is there a ballpark figure yet?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 06:45:57 AM
Is there a ballpark figure yet?
I'm pulling all the bits together in the next week or so, and we will get the final price nailed down firmly in that time.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bodyslam

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 07:15:14 PM
can you say more?

Not really. As I said it ws a brief listen, so I want to save the flowery verbiage for later.

Paul Stubblebine
Paul Stubblebine Mastering, San Francisco
The Tape Project, LLC
serious student of the audio arts

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 11:33:37 AM
Hi Doc, PB

Has there been a decision on kit vs. assembled?

Thanks

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.