Anyone have an Afterglow manual?

mas · 7634

Offline mas

on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:32 AM
If you have an Afterglow manual, I would much appreciate a copy. I recently bought a used pair of Afterglow amps and of course the manual will be helpful.

Thanks,
Mark 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:17 AM
Mark is trying to rebuild his and needs something to guide him.  Anyone who can scan the old manual will be appreciated.

Offline gjm

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:19 PM
My apologies for resurrecting this, but was there any luck finding an Afterglow manual? Some years ago I bought from Germany a pair of what I now think are Afterglows (knowing at the time only that they were 2A3 SE monos!), and after using them have finally decided to find out exactly what I have and what makes them tick. (Well, not tick, but you know what I mean!)

The build quality is a bit 'relaxed', and the finish leaves a lot to be desired, but I really like them. :-)

Thanks,
Graham

Offline Tubejack

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:19:34 AM
Send me a PM.  I have a pdf if it is OK with Doc for me to forward.

I regret selling my Afterglows many years ago. They had the Tucker Shunt reg mod. I plan on a fresh implementation using CCS and shunt reg., with MQ iron.

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:29 AM
The Afterglow had the TFA-204 Magnequest output transformer, vertical mount with end bells. The Paraglow has the smaller channel-frame EXO-35. Just checking; there were several versions of these.

Paul Joppa

Offline gjm

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:16:39 AM
Thanks guys.
Looks like my amps are Paraglows - the OPTs are EXO-36 nickel.

Tubejack - I'll drop you a line. How do we check with Doc? I've no wish to get off on the wrong foot!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:07:43 AM
It's fine to send a copy of the manual to someone who needs it to check out a legacy product.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline gjm

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:31:17 AM
Thanks Doc.  :)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
Yes, EXO-36 - that was my error; the EXO-35 has a 16 ohm secondary, the -36 is 8 ohms.

Next question to check - do you have the Magnequest PGP-8.1 (or the 230v PGP-8.2) power transformer with solder tabs, or the older deYoung with color-coded flying leads? That will become important when you check and possibly adjust voltages.

The next question will be whether you have the "Paraglow II" shunt regulator board and the Russian 6N1P tube, or a stock version with 5965 driver tube.

Armed with this information, you are set to ask questions about re-building and trimming the voltages for best performance.

Paul Joppa

Offline gjm

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 03:49:36 PM
Next question to check - do you have the Magnequest PGP-8.1 (or the 230v PGP-8.2) power transformer with solder tabs, or the older deYoung with color-coded flying leads? That will become important when you check and possibly adjust voltages.

The next question will be whether you have the "Paraglow II" shunt regulator board and the Russian 6N1P tube, or a stock version with 5965 driver tube.

Need to check the other transformers. I've not quite got that far yet!

There's only one board that I can recall, and that's the CCS.

My amps are slightly different. They came with 12AT7s instead of 5965s. There's also a reference written on the main panel used for mounting components reading "12AV7". I've actually used a RCA 5814A without problem, too.

More research required.  :)