Parafeed cap value experiences

Alonzo · 1313

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: June 10, 2015, 03:53:34 PM
So I've been climbing the value ladder on parafeed caps in my amps.  Searching the old posts didn't yield much info on high values so I'm asking everyone to pitch in there experience for those who come along behind us (and to help me in the next steps).

I've worked my way up to 30uF Obligatto Oilers in the Stereomour 2A3.  Lots of bass in my full range horns, still got 50 hours or so to finish break in.  This amp went from 4.7 to 8, to 10, to 15 now at 30.  Haven't lost any midrange at all, just more fullness in the bass, more depth as I've went up the ladder.  Some of the brightness (well that's my description, probably I lost some of the upper registers of treble) has decreased.  That's not an issue for me for this amp because I have a separate amp for the highs.  Oh, my Opts are 3K with Dowdy (125H) plate chokes.  If these don't do something drastically bad in the next month or so I'll upgrade to Supremes.

On the tweeter amp, I'm at 15uF Mundorf in a Stereomour 45 (Dowdy and 5K Opts).  It started way down at .068 uF and has been changed slowly up.  This one is still a experiment, I'm going to let this play awhile longer to break in the caps and then go lower and add/remove caps on the speakers.  I was happy at 4.7 but I can't say that the sound is bad now, just more midrange than before.

Up to 22uF now in the Mainline.  As these break in they get better and better.  Went from 3.3 to 4.7 to 10 to 18's in and upgraded to a better cap at 22.  Seems perfect for HD-800's and TL-404's.

What cap value is the sweet spot for your system?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:03:26 AM
Thats really interesting! I just did a bit of that with the sr-45's. Tried 3.3 4.7 and 6.8. There was just subtle improvements in the bass as you went up the range. I tried to strap the 3 and 6 together but it sounded terrible.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:40:30 PM
Just a caution here - don't over-interpret what you hear. The effect will depend on the speaker's impedance curve, so results are not easily extrapolated to a different speaker or amp.

Headphones are usually less extreme in their bass impedance variations, but those variations are usually still there so the same caution applies.

Paul Joppa

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:51:01 PM
Ok Paul, I'll try to keep a calm and scientific demeanor ;D.  I realize this is totally system dependent.  I'm not measuring anything but just going on hearing, I have a couple of tracks that I've heard live and I try to compare the amps to the sound and feeling that I remember.  I know it's very fallible since I'm going on memory and that is "rose colored" at best.  So I may be masking a loss area with over emphasis in another.

I think a good experiment would be to see how far my enjoyable sound is from a good response curve. Everyone seems to have settled on the standard values of caps, I just want to see if anyone ventured out and what happened when they did.  I like my horns more now, put the sub in the garage because I have enough bass.  If I can experiment and get my tweeters the same I can move on to some other money pit like speaker wires or interconnects  ;D

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's