problem with speedball upgrade [resolved]

Voltz · 1323

Offline Voltz

on: June 19, 2015, 02:32:19 PM
Hi

I tested my Crack for a few weeks and it was fine but now that I added the speedball I have a problem with no sound out of 1 channel.. doing the voltage checks the leds on large pc board are on, as are small board B, but not on small board A...term 2- 4- 5 voltage all are normal but 1 & 7 a reading around 165... goes a little up and down but its hard to get a good grip on U12 with neg clip is sort of big and wants to pop off ... check and re-check all connection and everything on A is just like B except using wire from 4U & 5U for B and using 1U & 2U for A

also since the upgrade the resistance check is a little different 6 & 10 are still 2.4...but 7 & 9 are about 0 now though for a while it was at 30 and dropping weird
I had to de-solder the caps at u6-u7 & U9 U10 and was wondering if something went wrong there? stripped end of cap are at U6 & U10
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:16:08 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:48:20 PM
There are no resistance checks in the Speedball manual because the resistances change significantly and become less predictable.

Do both LED's on the 9 pin socket glow?

165V on terminal 1 either indicates that the R1 is not the proper value (one LED on the 9 pin socket glowing unusually brightly), the center leg of the MJE350 is not well soldered (one LED out on the 9 pin socket), or a connection has come loose on the 9 pin socket.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Voltz

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:32:54 PM
the 2 LED's are glowing on the 9 pin but the top one is glowing overly bright.

I have installed a 31.6ohm resistor on PC board A instead of the correct 237 ohm resistor, which is installed on the large PC  board bottom half. :(

I not sure I'm going to be able to unsolder and re-solder these 2 resistors as I clip their bottom wires. is it possible to get replacements for one 237 ohm metal film resistor & one 31.6 1/8W metal film resistor?
thanks

Offline Voltz

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:25:09 PM
I was successful in un-soldering and re-soldering these Resistor into their correct postion on the PC boards and everything is working good! my old blind eyes needed a big magnifying glass to correctly separate the 2 resistors :)
Thanks gain for everything Paul!!