how to tell if you are buying good vinyl

aragorn723 · 2687

Offline aragorn723

on: June 20, 2015, 09:36:58 AM
Hi,

I was at the local record shop today and found two good albums.  The question is, how can you tell if the record is in good condition?  Both of them looked pretty flat from the side (no bubbling/warping) but would you see anything problematic on the record, like a scratch that might cause a skip?  Anything else to look for?  This place is all sales final, so it would be nice to have some assurance.

Dave

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:04:56 AM
Simply put: you can't!
You can look for scratches, or if the record is warped, but nothing more.
Maybe you can judge by the cover if it has been played a lot (original skinwrap vs heavily abused covers...).
But in the end you can't see if the record has been abused or not, you have to play it!
Also bear in mind that sometimes used records only needs to be washed, so if you plan to buy a lot of used vinyls buy a Knosti washing machine (only € 50): the best buy for a 2nd hand vinyl collector!

Good luck and remember: always negotiate  ;)

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:09:05 AM
Scratches are visible.  But I have found they have to be pretty deep before you hear them. 

Still, just tell the person at the shop if it skips you will return it in a few days.  I know all three of the shops here that I visit would be happy to take back a bad LP.  They want your business and want you to return if you are not satisfied.  If they balk at that, they are the wrong people to do business with.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:08:11 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 12:35:54 PM
Hi everyone,

At this point I don't have a record player.  I'm trying to build up some records first, then maybe buy something entry-level.  The record store does have a few players, maybe they will let me listen?  Would listening for a few minutes be enough to get an idea of the general condition?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline mkane

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 02:15:51 PM
  Somewhat. I would go straight to the middle. Use an LED flashlight to inspect.