Doc: I need replacement drivers for one of my S8s

kgwrocks · 2865

Offline kgwrocks

on: June 15, 2010, 12:40:10 PM
Hello Doc B,

Long time since I've been on the forum.
My grandson decided that it would be fun to skewer one of my S8 drivers and to push in on another.
Would it be possible to get 2 replacement drivers?
If not, maybe you could instruct me on how to roll my own.
I am one of the few original S8 owners and still love them.

thanks,

Kevin

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:56:44 PM
The driver is an MCM  55-1870. The stuff we used on the cones was a butyl/latex mixture that is no longer available, made by Lord Adhesives, a company that makes speaker adhesives. On the frames we used silica loaded latex paint for sealing concrete on the early versions, and 3M aluminum and synthetic rubber constrained layer damping tape on the later versions. I'm afraid I no longer have any of these materials, but you could probably put a coat of shellac on the cone of the stock 55-1870 and it would sound pretty close.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgwrocks

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:24:41 AM
Mine have the white paint on the frames.  I'll give this a try.
Thanks much
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:29:18 AM by KGW »

Offline chrisby

• commercial site:
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:23 AM
The driver is an MCM  55-1870. The stuff we used on the cones was a butyl/latex mixture that is no longer available, made by Lord Adhesives, a company that makes speaker adhesives. On the frames we used silica loaded latex paint for sealing concrete on the early versions, and 3M aluminum and synthetic rubber constrained layer damping tape on the later versions. I'm afraid I no longer have any of these materials, but you could probably put a coat of shellac on the cone of the stock 55-1870 and it would sound pretty close.

Puzzle Coat or Modge Podge is another readily available (from craft stores) option for treating metal cones (paper for that matter as well) -mix down 50% with water and apply with soft sable paint brush (craft store as well)

For damping frames and magnet covers,  Silent Running 500 from Marine or Industrial Paint suppliers is a ceramic doped latex based paint on product that works well, or there's always good old Ideal Duct Seal (commercial electrical or HVAC suppliers) 

Chris Bobiak
Victoria BC Canada

you don't really believe everything you think, do you?