stereomour vs stereomour II

Guest · 3386

kevner21

on: July 26, 2015, 08:37:56 AM
So what are we talking here with the stereomour vs the stereomour II a dual mono vs a stereo amp ? Seems a point to point power supply in the II. looks like a lot less parts in the II. I'm running 2A3's in the 45 mode and it sounds  great in my stereomour. Just want to know why you went with the II. and last but not least, can we convert the  stereomour to a stereomour II , if it is that much better? 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:01:24 PM
The differences are relatively small in terms of circuit. Here are some of the minor technical changes:

* Small increase in driver plate current, which makes it practical to use an unbypassed resistor for quieter biasing.
* Excess filament voltage, reduced with resistors, allows more adjustment for power line variations.
* New power transformer (shared with Seductor), has multi-voltage primary windings.
* Point-to-point power supply replaces circuit board.
* Replace some obsolete components with modern parts.

The main focus (in my mind anyhow) was to make it upgradeable to Paramount-level sound quality. Not all the upgrades have been announced yet.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:32:14 PM
looks like a lot less parts in the II.
The II actually has a fair number of additional parts.  There is the addition of a balance control pot (and the associated parts to make that work), along with an extra RC high voltage power supply filter per channel.  The Stereomour II also has gone to dual 9 pin sockets and additional terminal strips to allow for several future upgrades that we have planned. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 04:32:22 AM
The main focus (in my mind anyhow) was to make it upgradeable to Paramount-level sound quality. Not all the upgrades have been announced yet.

The Stereomour II also has gone to dual 9 pin sockets and additional terminal strips to allow for several future upgrades that we have planned.

Hopefully one or more of these will be unveiled for the upcoming St. Patrick's Day sale!  OK, kinda wishful thinking...

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs