Wiring gauge?

handrewmoore · 1297

Offline handrewmoore

on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:14 AM
I do have a quick question or two. I have a bunch of teflon 22awg wire, would it be ok to use this gauge throughout the build? Or should i just keep it for the signal path and use the stock 20awg in the power path? I don't know if the drop in gauge makes a difference and I don't want to throw anything off spec.

Also, I was wondering what alternatives you guys might suggest for a headphone jack? I don't care for a locking jack, it seems more trouble than it's worth, but it's about the only variation I've seen people using in their builds.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 04:09:00 PM
22awg solid core should be fine, but i would stick with the supplied stuff the for filament wiring.  You can disable the locking part of those sockets, but they dont have the switching function which you want in the crack circuit.  A direct replacement would be the Neutrik NMJ6HF-S, looks identical but has better contact material, but realistically isn't going to make any difference.

M.McCandless

Offline Nathan

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:30:51 PM
The other heahone jack to consider is a switchcraft 1152b

As far as the switching function- it is really used as implemented in the Crack?

Crack/Speedball, SEX 2.1/C4S, Bryston BHA-1

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline handrewmoore

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:30:17 PM
22awg solid core should be fine, but i would stick with the supplied stuff the for filament wiring.  You can disable the locking part of those sockets, but they dont have the switching function which you want in the crack circuit.  A direct replacement would be the Neutrik NMJ6HF-S, looks identical but has better contact material, but realistically isn't going to make any difference.

When you say filament wiring, is that the the tube heating wires that go from the power transformer to B7L, B8L to A4, A5, A9?

I may just stick with the stock jack, it seems there are 2 types of switching jacks and then the non switching. But I do like the look of the switchcraft jack.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:16:08 AM
Not sure of the terminal numbers but yes i meant the heater circuit.

M.McCandless