Hey LVLHD!

pro_crip · 4133

Offline pro_crip

on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:10 AM
I don't know if you're interested or not, but based on our previous conversation. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290445499637&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123
I'm the only bidder at the moment but considerin' I got a coupla glasses of Wild Turkey Rare Breed in me and I won a WE 421A on fri. I just thought you might be interested in this here tube and I wouldn't be averse to losin' her to a fellow 'head.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:51:29 PM
Yeow, somebody grab it! I'm using a 5998 in my Speedball and loving it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 01:13:39 PM
On it!

steve koto

Offline grufti

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:36:54 PM
That tube may have seen better days. Look at the measurements that the seller has posted. New is approximately 14,000 uMHOS.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for it. Just make sure that you don't overpay.

Offline levlhed

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 03:37:00 PM
hey thanks for the heds up!

I won't be bidding on this one as I've had a hole in my pocket the past few weeks which had me putting together my first vinyl rig.  I'm still waiting for some of the ancillary pieces to arrive, but the plan is to have it dedicated to feeding my Crack habit.  Nothing outrageous mind you.  Realistic LAB-500 TT with a Jico S.A.S stylus and Yaqin MC-22B tube phono pre.  Plus some of the other little bits and bobs a person needs to set up and maintain such things.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:47:26 PM by levlhed »

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline ironbut

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 03:42:26 PM
I think that's why the starting price is so low.
I don't mind buying tubes for a little less just to see if it's going to be my cup of tea. If it turns out to be, then I can spend a little more for an NOS one.

Actually, I'd already bought one that was supposed to have under 100 hours on it but never received it. Out of all the thousands that I've spent online, this was the first time I got scammed (not that I haven't gotten tubes that were noisy). Luckily, it wasn't for too much. I still consider myself to be way on the plus side of the equation.

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 04:29:00 PM
Yeah, I took a look at the measurements and decided to pass.  On the other hand I see some folks selling NOS ones for $125 each.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline levlhed

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:39:00 PM
Some guy on AK offered to go pick these up and ship them if compensated for his gas/time (which he says is a two hour ordeal).
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/1842651852.html

If I had a tube tester I'd do it and see what happens, but since I can't test them I'd have to send them off for additional expense.
But holy crap, that's really tempting isn't it?  Anyone here have some ideas?

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline grufti

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 01:29:21 PM
levlhed, thank you for the heads up. I bought those 22 5998 tubes yesterday. Some deals look just too good to pass up. At this point the loot is still in Boston and I'm on the West Coast. I also won't get around to testing them for about the next six weeks.

I am willing to offer many of these 5998's via the Bottlehead Forum somehow, if there is interest and assuming they're not all duds. Doc seems to be very happy with the 5998 in one of his Crack builds. My used 5998 has been very good to me too.

Please don't bombard me with requests before I know a bit more in about six weeks time.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg51.imageshack.us%2Fimg51%2F650%2F5998craigslistboston479.jpg&hash=9b0f513092063f7a11fde97658844fea84bd33d8)

Some guy on AK offered to go pick these up and ship them if compensated for his gas/time (which he says is a two hour ordeal).
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/1842651852.html

If I had a tube tester I'd do it and see what happens, but since I can't test them I'd have to send them off for additional expense.
But holy crap, that's really tempting isn't it?  Anyone here have some ideas?

Offline levlhed

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:31 PM
Funny, I had made arrangements with a guy via AK to pick them up Wednesday.  By the time I got back to the seller, he said someone was coming over to grab them:)
Keep us posted!

Offline grufti

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 04:01:31 PM
It wasn't me on Wednesday. It wasn't me ever in person, but on top of that I only contacted my friend in Boston on Thursday afternoon. Whatever was going on Wednesday must not have worked out.

Offline levlhed

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 05:46:37 PM
I meant my guy was going to pick them up next Wednesday, but then I was told someone was already coming to get them (your guy)

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:17 PM
I have been on the hunt for a cheap 5998 for a week now!