2 pole 6 position rotary switches [resolved]

NightFlight · 2008

Offline NightFlight

on: August 13, 2015, 04:37:54 PM
The one selected for my fine attenuator is not always making proper contact in all positions. I've tried every sort of adjustment and come to the conclusion that I have just have to suck it up and replace it.  To the best of my knowledge, I figure this one switch is likely out of factory tolerance.  I'm willing to return it if required for inspection.

I've put it off because it means removing and redoing the resistor network which looks like it will be a real PITA. Its either I put up with a random channel imbalance, fiddle with a light touch to get it right or just order a replacement.

Should I request the resistors too? I suspect I may end up cooking/damaging at least one getting them out of there. Maybe the alligator heat sink trick could help me save the resistors?

I'm drafting up the warranty replacement request right now, but figured I should get an opinion here before firing that off.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:01:11 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:14:30 AM
Can you post a photo of the switch as it sits currently? 

You are correct that the switch and resistors should both be replaced.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline NightFlight

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:55:14 PM
I can. But... I don't think there will be any sort of visual indicator that would show the wiper connectivity issue.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:18:06 PM
Is it the 2nd to loudest position that's causing the problem? (only on one channel)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline NightFlight

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:33:58 AM
The wiper is engaged on the most affected contact in the photo (-4.5dB). Same issue with -6.0dB, but the remainder of positions seem to be fine.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:35:16 AM
Before going through the trouble of replacing the switch, you may want to try to bend the contacts on those positions to be slightly tighter.  I recommend doing this with a toothpick.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline NightFlight

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:31:06 PM
Well, you can chalk up another one. I used a small flat head driver, but I was able to crunch down the wipers a hair. I almost screwed one up. It's a bit fiddly to get it right.  Thanks Paul!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:35:28 PM by NightFlight »